Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Newbi here.

james2cv

Hey there,
I'm new on this forum, and live in Accrington Lancashire, and after over ten years of driving euroboxes(having plowed my way through many 2cvs and 4s in the eighties) I have bought a 2cv, and would really like to import an LHD in the next few months, and was wondering what I need to look out for, or where/how I should buy my car.
I've never carried out any restoration in my life, I would be prepared to take on a challenge over the next few years. Infact the only repair i've ever carried out on either a 2cv/R4 is to replace a headlamp cup.

I'd be thankful of any advice.

Many Thanks,

James.

oops

I would liek to make it clear that I am interested in importing an LHD R4, not a 2cv. Sorry if I did'nt make that clear. :rolleyes:

First of all can I say that you are probably better off starting with a few individual requests and/or questions we can all help one way or another but need to know a few things about what you want
There are quite a few variants of quatrelle ranging from 1961-1993 the uk stopped making the RHD in about 86
Give us an idea :roll:

France, Croatia or Portugal are good places to buy late Renault 4s. Go for a 1990 onwards car from a dry climate - those are the least rusty.

There are a few already in the UK (and UK registered) and they tend to sell for less than RHD cars. Could be worth keeping your eyes on eBay, especially as second hand values abroad for decent cars seem higher than over here.

Importing isn't a hassle from the EU if you have the original logbook. Headlamp mod, fitting a foglamp, sticking mph stickers on the speedo and possibly fitting side indicators are all that's needed. Then an MOT and apply for a UK registration number at your local friendly DVLA place. Might be a charge these days but it's less than the cost of road tax.

Back