Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Newbie alert!

Pedro de Gales

Enthusiast
Hi to all of the members. I’ve just joined you!
I don’t have a Renault 4 at but am planning what to do with the pension pot when it finally arrives!! And I’d love to spend my time tinkering ( as that’s all I can do!) with something old and simple and taking it to shows etc. I’m in Devon just below Wellington and there’s lots of shows round here in the summer!
I used to have a Renault 5 Monaco ( G206 XDD. Aka my beloved Deedee!) I loved her but the crappy roads round here and the fact I’m 19 stone meant driving it felt like a house brick in a tumble dryer! I’ve loved the style of the old 4 for ages and think it would have a bit more room for me in it!
I’ve looked at some of the adverts for 4s and there’s a lot of variation in prices and conditions so I’m a bit clueless at the moment. Still about 18 months before the cash arrives so I’ve got time to learn!
Anyway, waffle over, just thought I’d say hi and look forward to getting my own 4 eventually!!

Hello and welcome to the forum! You've got plenty of time to learn about what to look out for when buying a 4 and there's lots of expertise on this forum. Good luck with your search!

Hello Pedro, welcome. I hope you find what you are looking for, and as jjad said, you've come to the right place for advice. As I'm not too far from you, maybe we will meet up in the future at a show.
Regards Brian.

Heres Deedee on her way to her new owner up in Lincolnshire I think He did a restoration on her MOted her for a couple of years but shes now off the MOT history list so Im assuming shes gone abroad?
LENOVO-PC - IMG_0005 (2017_08_09 14_17_59 UTC).JPG

Hello Pedro, welcome. I hope you find what you are looking for, and as jjad said, you've come to the right place for advice. As I'm not too far from you, maybe we will meet up in the future at a show.
Regards Brian.
Hi Brian, thanks for the welcome! Yes it woud be great to meet up at a show and have a chat. Maybe later in the spring when you re out and about let me know.
cheers
Pete

Hello Pete @Pedro de Gales

If you have a fancy for a R4 you should definitely take the plunge! I just joined the tribe at Christmas so still a newbie too, but loving the experience :)

I’m no expert but on price but I believe £3-4K will get you a very clean example; I’ve seen more asked for some exceptional ones, and cars a bit scruffy or needing a bit of TLC substantially less. Prices seem firm or rising slightly.

Challenge is supply: there are only 250 currently registered on UK roads - same again on SORN - makes them more exclusive than the Lamborghini Huracan :D

In my short time I’ve seen nice ones pop up here about monthly. Or you could go potty like I did and import one from France/ Spain/ Portugal, where there are more to pick from.

Hope you have a good time here, we’re surrounded by mountains of knowledge...

Best wishes, Simon.

Hello Pete @Pedro de Gales

If you have a fancy for a R4 you should definitely take the plunge! I just joined the tribe at Christmas so still a newbie too, but loving the experience :)

I’m no expert but on price but I believe £3-4K will get you a very clean example; I’ve seen more asked for some exceptional ones, and cars a bit scruffy or needing a bit of TLC substantially less. Prices seem firm or rising slightly.

Challenge is supply: there are only 250 currently registered on UK roads - same again on SORN - makes them more exclusive than the Lamborghini Huracan :D

In my short time I’ve seen nice ones pop up here about monthly. Or you could go potty like I did and import one from France/ Spain/ Portugal, where there are more to pick from.

Hope you have a good time here, we’re surrounded by mountains of knowledge...

Best wishes, Simon.
Thanks for the support Simon. Yeh I can already see that there just aren’t many around. Seen a few nice ish ones in France on Leboncoin How was the importing process?

Pete,

I had inside help, but Portugal is a special case and less easy than other countries.

I’m sure others here have done it from France - from what I’ve read it can be a little tricky to get from ferry to MOT 100% legally, but all doable with some advance prep. I’d certainly look at French cars.

Best wishes, Simon.

SN858213.JPGI only ever bought one in France. Seller provided all correct documentation. Trailered car home so no university degree required.
Germany is a walk in the park. The seller drives you to the Fahrzeugübergabestelle to complete the transfer which includes 30 days insurance. Export plates from same building or next door.
Fill tank - drive home.
As Simon has pointed-out above, Portugal is less easy than other counties. I shall go a step further. Buying in Portugal is nigh-on impossible without a Portuguese address and fiscal number (N.i.F) a.k.a Numero Contribute.
Once you have these, it becomes as simple as the German process, although you will need separate insurance cover if you intend driving home.
Good Luck,
N

• SN858026.JPG
    SN858026.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SN858038.JPG
    SN858038.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi Neil,

So the German process is that simple - find car, transfer paperwork and sort insurance at place with long name (presumably there is one in each major town?), and drive back to UK?

I've found a Twingo in Germany but seller doesn't speak English and doesn't respond to email. Don't suppose there's anyone hereabouts who speaks German and wants to make a phonecall for me??

Hi Neil,

So the German process is that simple - find car, transfer paperwork and sort insurance at place with long name (presumably there is one in each major town?), and drive back to UK?

I've found a Twingo in Germany but seller doesn't speak English and doesn't respond to email. Don't suppose there's anyone hereabouts who speaks German and wants to make a phonecall for me??

Hello again Lobster,
yes, exporting from Germany is uncomplicated, and there will be an office nearby to process export docs.
It's worth reminding ourselves what the highways authority do in winter to keep roads ice-free in Mrs. Merkel's promised land.
THEY SPRAY SALINE SOLUTION FROM THE REAR OF A 14,000 LITRE ROAD TANKER.
Any vehicle travelling above walking pace on treated surfaces faces terminal corrision. The wet tyre inertia flings the solution against inner wings causing it to atomize. Such a fine mist gets everywhere with missionary zeal.
If Abraham Lincoln were alive today, I'm sure he would strongly advise searching further south for your Mk 1 Twingo

https://www.custojusto.pt/lisboa/ligeiros-passageiros/renault-twingo-1-2i-initiale-paris-28421720

With reference to the language barrier:
My experiences working in and out of Germany from 1989 were very rewarding. Everyone genuinely helpful and happy to demonstrate their language skills. Of the 25% who couldn't (or wouldn't) interact, it was more arrogance than ignorance, and mostly the older folk. If I was in your shoes, I'd be inclined to allow fate to decide my direction. Not replying to e-Mails has reached epidemic proportions. What was preventing our German friend from running your script through google translate? If he had any respect he would have replied all-be-it in his or her native tongue.
As a matter of interest, did you try translating your enquiry into Deutsch and pasting to your e-Mail,
always happy to help,
Neil

Thanks, and yes I think you're correct both with regard to the salt issue and also with people not replying to emails - I sent my email in German but no reply and even rang and attempted to speak German albeit not very well!

But yes, I think I will keep searching and see what fate decides. Biggest problem is one of logistics in that if I get a car in France / Spain it looks like it needs to come back on a trailer rather than driving back which is a bit less fun...

Thanks, and yes I think you're correct both with regard to the salt issue and also with people not replying to emails - I sent my email in German but no reply and even rang and attempted to speak German albeit not very well!

But yes, I think I will keep searching and see what fate decides. Biggest problem is one of logistics in that if I get a car in France / Spain it looks like it needs to come back on a trailer rather than driving back which is a bit less fun...

Si, si Señor,
logísticas! But if the car is as described, surely the (apparently low) asking price will help massively towards export costs. We could expand on Lobster's remark above: "much less fun" to trailer the car home. Permit me to say "massively more rewarding". Starting from the UK - soaking-up the scenery from a comfy railway carriage - choice of ports in mainland Spain to Mallorca - foot passenger - cruise back to the mainland - take a meandering week travelling north using air bnb with a beautiful passenger by your side,
N.

That sounds very appealing as it happens and pretty much how I'd like to do it. Its just the insuring it to thats the problem...

Fidelidad charged me under €200 for my first R4 insurance fully comp including breakdown cover. But you will require a fiscal number (n.i.f)
I guess it will be higher for Twingo because younger and more cubic centimetres. We are due to return to PT before Easter (actually "on-the-road" at the moment) and I can make enquiries. Rather fancy a smarter Example than the LHD one currently in use. It had been in a few fights before I bought her in UK. Trailered out to Algarve 2014. Still on UK plates. (Naughty).
If I come across a superb example, I shall post on the forum along with info on the insurance costs etc.
N.

Back