Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

sue denim

Enthusiast
Hello all.
Recently aquired a 1982 4 tl.
I will need to weld behind the front wheel on the chassis and believe that it will be easier with the body off.
Is there a page by page idiots guide ( on line) to removing the body from the chassis, ie how many and where are all the bolts etc;
In at the deep end, but after years of repairing old land rovers I am sure the 4 will not be too challenging.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

;) Hi, I'm sure you won't have any problem with your R4 after working on Land Rover... Removing the body is not very difficult, the body is attached to the chassis with 21 bolts (diam 7 mm):
r_4_x_ray.jpg
First of all you have to disconnect all the mechanical equipements like wiring loom, sterring column, etc. Then, remove all the bolts, if you have an hoist, you attach it to the body and it's very easy:
Levage.jpg
I you don't have hoist you have to take a solid knife or anything similar and insert it between the body and the chassis to peel off the sealing, at the same time you put wood wedges to separate the body and the chassis...

And if you still have difficulties, you can go there:
http://wirehead.over-blog.com/article-26275502.html
A very detailled article of a french enthusiast...

thank you

Thank you for the great cut away diagram.

The next subject is how easy or difficult is it to change the engine from a 850 to a 1000.

Again thank you in advance.

:smile: Hi,

changing the 845 for a 1100 isn't difficult: only the engine mountings are different (even they look similar), another thing to do is fitting the GTL sleeper (not sure of this word, sorry !) under the bonnet and the 2 radiator mountings at the front of the chassis.
Img.jpg

engine out this weekend

I will tackle the beast this week end. Question.
I have been told I need to change the transmision with the engine. (Possibly 1100)
If this is the case where do I split the transmision from the road wheels. Is it at the wheel end or the tranny end. Do I need to split anything;

Sorry for all the Q's but it is a steep learning curve!

Check with DRIRE whether you are allowed to, the french are very sniffy about changing engine sizes etc, you would not want to go to all the trouble and then find you cannot get a CT on it.

engine out

I don't have a problem with the ct etc.
I didn't get round to changing everything last weekend but I do intend to start this coming weekend.
I would like to know what needs to be unbolted to allow the engine and gearbox swap.
Obviously the engine mounts and all associated linkages / hoses. Where I am not sure about is gearbox and wheels / suspension area.

Thank you in advance

S Denim

You'll need to remove the driveshafts before you can remove the engine. Undo the nut when the wheel is still on the ground, then disconnect the steering and upper suspension balljoints (you'll need a ball joint splitter) and push the driveshaft out of the hub then pull it from the gearbox. At least that's the way I do it.

Steering rack would need to be removed as will the radiator.

Back