Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

No Paris-Dakar R4 again!

roodini

Enthusiast
Though once again there's no R4 in this years Paris-Dakar, it's good to see that the small utility car's not been forgotten, in the snail like shape of the infamous 2CV.
Number 400, piloted by two frenchmen, Georges Marques and Cyril Ribas, are attempting to make the journey from Lisbon to Dakar, a distance of some 8000+ kilometres.
I for one wish them luck.
Can't help thinking there should be an R4 in it though!
Maybe with Clementine as driver and Frederick as navigator/mechanic!:D

Valid point. But how much would it cost a team to enter into the rally, and to do it? You would need at least one support vehicle, no?

I was chatting to someone about an RAC rally re-run that includes the damaging Kielder forest stage. He was talking about all sorts of protective measures for the sump etc. I suggested he just used a Renault 4.

I reckon it would be possible to do a decently nasty rally without support, so long as the tank and sump were well guarded.

Shame there is no R4 entry. Good luck to our 2CV friends!

As far as I remember Pinto dos Santos did not have any support vehicles or service crew on the World Championship rallies he entered with the (entirely stock,even down to the tyres!) R4 GTL. I think, if such a car had gone through a Gr. A preparation,and with some basic support,it would have been competent to more powerful newer cars, at least on the tough Acropolis Rally.

Back