Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Noddy recommissioning.

I was not very happy about how weak and flimsy the dashboards are on R4's ! So I decided to strengthen the passenger side by fitting a 10cm x 15cm metal plate from the redundant LHD steering column bracket to the dashboard tray, and it has now made a huge difference making dashboard very strong indeed. The two flat headed 10mm bolts in the tray don't even show when sprayed black.
20240227_121222.jpg20240227_121201.jpg

Are these shocks some old stock?
HI Petak! -I have several NOS of these Decarbon dampers also have some Allinquant -ones.
it's a pity that all freight/post costs have sky-rocketed in the past few years.Stating costs from
Norway make me feel like a real crook! -Reid.

Well, I have been busy this week refitting the dashboard, wiring and the two very flimsy parcel shelves. So I strengthened them up by using 12mm copper pipe on the front curves screwed on with x4 self tapping screws so they don't flex anymore, and sprayed them black. Think that I must have the strongest R4 dashboard and parcel shelves on the planet ! I have also been installing 'Fatmat' sound insulation, and stuck X2 layers behind the heater box and front bulkhead and front floor where the engine noise is worse. The good thing about his stuff is that you can spray it with acrylic paint afterwards. I am going to lay the original rubber mats and carpets. I also packed the door cavities out with foam to stop them drumming. So he should be a fairly quiet R4 what with the two silencers fitted as well.

20240310_100653.jpg20240310_100723.jpg20240312_104648.jpg

Last edited:
I fitted the reconditioned brake calipers yesterday, and blead the brakes with no problems, thanks to Malcolm's useful tip about keeping the rear wheels on the ground it was easy. Although I do have about 4cm pedal travel, so maybe the rear brake self adjusters need resetting ?

I decided to remove the rocker cover and check the tappet clearances today, and was really surprised how clean it was after 130,000km (80,000 miles). The gaps were about 4 thou out on both inlet/exhaust valves. It was an easy job thanks to Malcolm's tip about jacking up the front R/H wheel to enable turning the engine over manually. I have never done it that way before, and it works perfectly. I also removed the distributor for cleaning/reconditioning ready for fitting a electronic ignition module.

20240318_161102.jpg 20240318_183108.jpg

Last edited:
I think it has been transferred from an earlier car, the screw type fixings for the front part were used up to 1981.

I think it has been transferred from an earlier car, the screw type fixings for the front part were used up to 1981.
Yes it has 2 front and 2 rear screw fixings, yet my car has the later post 1983 dashboard fitted ? so maybe the roof came from an earlier car ?
The body stamped number and plate is 5809492 Engine number CO75954 (1108cc) match in the log book, although the body plate says it's a R1123 ?
So I am sure my car is a complete 'Bitsa' made up from O/E NOS Renault parts with 5 new doors/4 new wings/bumpers and all new window/door rubbers.
I bought the car because it had a great body/paint/chassis/interior coverings, although the brakes/steering joints/drive shafts/shocks all needed replacing.

I fitted my 'Cornett' sun visor today. It is a quality reproduction part made in Germany. 'Vorsprung Durch Technik' LOL !
And all the fitting instructions were in German, so thank God for the translate APP on my mobile.
I think it makes 'Noddy' look quite cute with his baseball cap fitted !

20240420_131933.jpg20240420_131949.jpg

Back