Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Not a 4L, but another classic French beauty

quatrelle87

Enthusiast
Today, my trusty Peugeot 204 celebrates her 54th birthday. In places, she looks as good as the day she left the factory (well, nearly), and certainly doesn't need any botox (unlike her owner!). Great fun to drive, extremely comfortable and practical, and always raises a smile and comments from people wherever I go. I've owned her for 6 and half years now, and she's been extremely reliable - only requiring regular servicing, after a thorough recommissioning when I first bought her (from the family of the original owner!). Happy birthday "Primrose" :laughing:
IMG_9438.JPG IMG_9448.JPG

It's a lovely car - and it seems to be in fantastic condition!
Your car probably doesn't need it, but I came across a brand-new Ducellier distributor (M48; 525454A) while tidying up the garage. It says 'Peugeot 204' on the box.

What a wonderful car. I love the convertible version of that and the 104, but very expensive now. The proportions on your car are just right with a lovely line, and it looks good from every angle. It looks styled, like someone took care to make it look great from every angle. Many of the cars these days don't look good in the round. the current big Land Rover Discovery with the very tall back,a case in point, and all these cars with spikes light shapes. They look like the designer found the box of all the details that previous designers decided not to do and threw out, and used them all on the same car. Great to see your car, made my day.

Thanks, Edwin. Thanks, Andy. Andy, the distributor was changed 6 years ago, thanks, and works wonderfully.
Yes, Edwin, I agree with what you say regarding newer car designs. The 204 seems to be right at all angles, and the proportions work well (length of wings, bonnet, boot, etc). Perhaps a relatively conservative design, but personally I think it ages very well. She still drives amazingly well, pulls well, holds the road well, and doesn't drop any oil or water! They knew how to make a car to last, didn't they? I have to say, I much prefer working on the 4L to the Peugeot, in terms of accessing everything in the engine.

That's a lovely motor car!

Nice early 204!
60s French engineering at its best. Just look at the dynamo/water pump drive belt!

Back