Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Not enough 4s to go around !

Cornish4

Le Dazzleur
My better half and I spent last weekend at the NEC classic motorshow, where we proudly exhibited our 83 GTL. We had a great time chatting to so many people who have a soft spot for the 4L. One chap was thinking 4L or 2CV (no contest), as his next classic, and many remembered theirs or their dads or their girlfriends 4 with fond memories. Guess they don't remember the rust! But it is interesting how many people seem serious about getting a 4. I just hope prices don't get silly and put them out of the reach of grass-roots enthusiasts, as has happened with many other classics. On a lighter note, there were many Irish classic fans at the show, they love their old cars, but 4s are rare in the Republic too. It was nice to meet Lobster, good to put a face to a name, and chat about our cars. All in all a great show and good to be part of it. So there we are, not enough to go around ? Look after your rare car.:cool:

Great to see your R4 at the show, would have been nice to see more R4's there, maybe a whole area of r4's ;- )

100_4690.jpg

100_4689.jpg

A bit of a price increase would probably be good for the R4 scene - there aren't many left and a lot are still being scrapped as it's not financially viable to repair the rusty bits.

The typical owner has changed over the time I have run R4s. 20 years ago it was students that ran them because they were cheap. Now it's older more middle class folk that have them because they had one as a student. I had them inbetween too :D

Ive never been a student, Ime a thicko, today when i saw the red gtl, i started talking to it, " now then marmalade, what are we going to do " - :confused:the guy said thats what the previous owner called it, what is it with these cars ?, I was 38 when i got my first one - :rolleyes:
A bit of a price increase would probably be good for the R4 scene - there aren't many left and a lot are still being scrapped as it's not financially viable to repair the rusty bits.

The typical owner has changed over the time I have run R4s. 20 years ago it was students that ran them because they were cheap. Now it's older more middle class folk that have them because they had one as a student. I had them inbetween too :D

Ought to have said young person not student:oops:. Though there was not much point getting one back then anyway - my poor Florence went rusty :(.

What did Marmalade say?

What'd you mean?! All us hip students still have R4s! Well... there are still a few of us... maybe just me. BUT Bertie, the F4, is a beast! Few cars are more suited to students than her.

Marmalade said "ive had it mate dont waste your time and money, use my organs though by all means.- :(
Ought to have said young person not student:oops:. Though there was not much point getting one back then anyway - my poor Florence went rusty :(.

What did Marmalade say?

Greetings from Cornwall. Super photos of our 4 Rich, she looks great if I say so my self, thank you for posting them. I think the car made an impression at the NEC, but as you say one or two others there would have been nice. I agree with what you say Malcolm, a slight increase in value would help to preserve the 4s that are left. By the way our 4 is called Marigold although her colour is of course tournesol hence the sunflowers. And yes I do talk to her, sad old b.gger that I am. Brian.

Brian,
It was great to see your R4 at the show, your missus was engrossed in what looked like a good book so we didn't disturb her, but it was lovely to see at least one proper every day car there!!!. We looked hard last year but didn't see any 4's.
Alan.

Brian,
It was great to see your R4 at the show, your missus was engrossed in what looked like a good book so we didn't disturb her, but it was lovely to see at least one proper every day car there!!!. We looked hard last year but didn't see any 4's.
Alan.
Hi Alan.
My better half would have chatted, you should have tapped on window:-) It was good to fly the flag for our favourite car. Sorry we didn't meet:cool: Brian

Hi Brian,saw your car at NEC sorry I was to engrossed with the Citroen and lancia stands very impressed took several pics planning my resto,it was that week bought R4 2 off tinternet liked detailing,Iwas getting a bit knackered bought to many air tools to early arms to long.Best Al

Hi there Al, yes there was lots to see and get engrossed with at the NEC show, even Citroens :-). Thanks for comments about car, I can't claim to have rebuilt it, it's just been well looked after and came from a reputable garage. I've just maintained it and given it some TLC. I'm quite new to R4s, not like some of our fellow forum members, and I have much to learn about these great little cars. I've sent you a PM. Regards Brian.

Back