Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Not sure what the problem is...Any help would be appreciated

b12cky

Enthusiast
I have a problem with my '89 GTL as you can tell from the title. :)
Sometimes, and in the past couple of weeks, it started to get frequent, I have a starting issue.
When I turn the key in the first position, lights turn on in the cluster, but when I move the key to position two and try to start it, nothing happends.
No click, no crank, nothing. Sometimes, after few attempts it cranks and starts right up. Sometimes, like today, after 30+ times of turning the key, nothing happends.
Luckily, I was at a petrol station, so a guy that works there gave me a push and the car started right up. Than I went to wash it and after drying it, it started normally.
I have cleaned battery terminals, also, I have "tapped" starter a few times while cranking and nothing.
Any ideas? Maybe a faulty ignition lock?

The following might help identify the problem: switch on the main beam headlights and then operate the starter. The headlights should go dim. If they don't, no power is reaching the starter motor. If they do go dim, power IS reaching the starter motor, but it's not spinning.

To start, I'd look at the starter motor solenoid and check that the connections are all tight, particularly the small wire from the ignition key that operates the solenoid. You should disconnect the battery before checking the connections, as you might otherwise cause a spark. If they're all tight, clean and bright check the earth strap from the engine block to the car frame is also both tight and in good order. If it's not the starter motor will try to earth out through other wires and connections, which can't handle the load.

If this doesn't identify the problem you'll need a multi-meter to check that voltage at certain points along the wires, but try what I've suggested first and report back. I drop in here every couple of days, so should see your reply pretty quickly. You may also P.M. me if you wish.

Good luck/bon chance!

Thank you for the reply.
I will try that in the next couple of days. I wanted to change negative cable that goes from gearbox to battery, because a friend of mine said that it looks too thin.
Also, I will try to tighten connections on the starter, but, as far as I could see, they are pretty hard to get to.

Thank you for the reply.
I will try that in the next couple of days. I wanted to change negative cable that goes from gearbox to battery, because a friend of mine said that it looks too thin.
Also, I will try to tighten connections on the starter, but, as far as I could see, they are pretty hard to get to.
The earth strap from the gearbox to the battery should be a very thick wire that can carry a huge amperage. Some cars have a braided strip fitted.

Not sure if you can see it on the picture, but, this is how negative cable looks like.
42058651_1558842370888582_8256877886993072128_n.jpg

Check that, when the problem exists, 12 volts are reaching to starter motor solenoid when you turn the key to "start" position. This is the thin wire of the starter. If not, problem is either ignition switch itself, or wiring to starter motor.
If you get 12V there, starter motor brushes are probably worn. Starter solenoid earths through one of them, so it won't be able to "click" even if it's good.

That negative wire looks too thin and (although it's difficult to be sure, because of the angle of the picture) not properly routed. It looks too close to the fan, but, as I say, that might be an optical illusion.

Back