Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Numbers 1-4 on speedo

jjad

Enthusiast
Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know what the numbers 1 to 4 in orange circles mean on the R4 speedometer. (see
sensai's old speedo to see what I mean.

Thanks!

I always thought it was maximum speed per gear but as always I could be wrong!

Rudi.

As far as I know, the numbers on the speedo are the best point to change gear. A kind of basic rev counter.

Yes, I've just had a word with Blanche the French R4. She says:

"Les repères orange 1-2-3-4 vous indique le seuil maxi d'utilisation économique du rapport de vitesse indiqué. Ils vous aideront à adopter une conduite économique. Sur plat, dès que l'aiguille du compteur atteint l'un de ces repères, passez la vitesse supérieure.

She could have just said "Och aye" to Sensai, but she does go on. She's rapidly learning to speak proper like what we do in Leeds but it's nice she can still speak French and Scottish. :wink:

Sorry, Rudi is right - it's the maximum recommended speed for that gear - whether you want to change up to the next gear is up to the driver!!

They are awfully low for maximum revs. 50mph in second gear still isn't abusive enough to break the engine, never mind 50km/h.

Translating and then paraphrasing Bluebell's French (presumably from the hanadbook): "Change up gear at the markers for good fuel economy".

My motorbike has similar little red markings and is more concerned that you don't change down a gear until you reach a low enough speed.

Incidentally, the manual says "To prevent other motor vehicle from damaging you motorcycle, bring you to escape people's attention as possible, wear fresh clothes". Sounds like you're a marked man if you forget to change your socks!

Last edited:
"To prevent other motor vehicle from damaging you motorcycle, bring you to escape people's attention as possible, wear fresh clothes"

The Chinese do seem to write their manuals in Zen. It shouldn't be taken literally, it's more to get you thinking. Perhaps the type of person that doesn't wear fresh clothes is a bit sloppy and sloppyness causes motorcycle accidents?

I think the answer is a little simpler than that. I suggest that the China Jialing Industrial Co Ltd Group is a subsidiary of the Wishee Washee Laundry. :wink:

Thanks!

Thanks for your answers and translations!

Another R4 mystery solved :)

Back