Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

oil filter

swannieg

Enthusiast
hi,
R4 1970, where is the oil fiter, i cant seem to find it.
even on the manual thy don't mention the oil filter but only the oil pump.
it seems like the oil pump has a fiter on the oil pickup.
must the sump(oilpan) removed with every oil change.

Gerrie

The earlier R4s didn't have oil filters at all. I'm not sure when the oil filter was introduced - 1965 cars didn't have an external oil filter. I think the filter was introduced between 1966 and 1968, so it's possible your engine has been replaced with an earlier one.

If you have the oil filter it should be located on the right hand side of the block (looking forwards from the driving seat) and towards the rear of the engine.

The filter on the oil pump is cleaned by movement of oil in the sump so there is no need to remove the sump for cleaning. If you don't have an external oil filter the oil changes should be more frequent. Maybe every 5000km.

I think the oil filter compatible blocks were these fitted with timing chain. Even then, there was no filter fitted at the factory, but there was provision in case of a future engine rebuild using bearings other than the original white metal type.
Gerrie, on the position Malcolm described you should see a round cap fixed with a hexagon bolt (19mm?). This is to be removed and a filter fitted instead, provided a threaded pipe is fitted on the bolt position. They used to be obtainable, but now they are hard to find. It's very easy to make at a machinist shop, though, if you show him the bolt to determine the correct thread.

Angel have you got a photo of that? Do you mean a point for a remote filter? Where does the return line go???

Hello Pieter, nice to hear from you again!
No I mean this one, it's an oil filter compatible block, but no one has fitted a filter yet (since 1971!)

• 100_3818.jpg
    100_3818.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 238
Hi Angel! I see what you mean, thanks very much for posting the pic. I have a timing chain car (about Sept '67, full width grille) and it definitely doesn't have that.
I suspect this started happening when the Canadian market started leading the push for oil filters and to accomodate it they started putting the fitting on all production but Renault just didn't fit the filter in other countries because there was no real demand????

I've heard of mods to put filters on earlier cars- apparantly Renault used to sell a factory kit to put a remote oil filter on Dauphines in the US, and there was a web post somewhere about a Rhodesian doing it on a 4 for racing, it would be a nice thing to do, but changing the oil more often seems to work too.
Cheers

Back