Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oil Leak on Speedometer cable

safeulli

Enthusiast
Hi,i just bought a R4 F6 ,very happy with the car,just one problem ,there is oil leaking out of the speedometer cable,it leaks into the car on the speedometer inside and on the connection at the gearbox,it looks like on the gearbox that the connection piece is not deep enough in the gearbox. any help or ideas how to fix this?
thanks a lot
Ulli

On the gearbox you have a breather so any excess pressure inside the box is released. I suspect that the breather is blocked and forcing oil up the cable and into the car.

Check that the gearbox does not have too much oil in it. Ensure the breather is clean and able to 'breathe'. Remove the speedo cable and hang it up for a day in the sun to drain off the excess oil.

Before removing the cable degrease the whole area and blow off any dirt and grit so it does not enter the gearbox.

we had a skoda favourite in the garage last year like that....could believe how much gear oil was inside the car...the dash display was ruined.
that was to do with the breather

What a coincidence - I have only seen this happen once in my motor trade career and that was on my friend's Skoda when she visited me 3 years ago - as you say, the oil was everywhere and it was the breather. That experience prompted my previous reply.

oil leak at speedometer

hi,first thanks for the help.
the breather was clear,i think it is,was the seal ring were the speedo meter is connected with the gear box,I hope.there is more or less no more oil in the car.
but now there is a massive amount of oil leaking out of the left hand drive shaft.after i checked the breather and put new seals on the speedo cable i checked the gear oil and refilled it,since then the drifeshaft is leaking any advice for this please.
thanks
ulli

hi Steve, i had to remove all the underdash soundproofing as this was soaked...and stinking

one smell i cant stand is gearoil...and i hate touching it

Back