Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Overheatıng advıce urgently needed from turkey

I think the 956 uses the same block as the 1108. Though the Spanish used to do their own thing so I wouldn't know which engines they fitted when or which fuel pumps they used. Generally the 1108cc engine was fitted to Renault 4s from roughly 1979.

My Spanish 1108cc car from 1983 has the upside-down pump with the body below the mounting points (presumabaly pushrod operated but I've not had it off the car to check. I'm guessing yours will be the other type with the body above the mountings. But as I say the Spaniards were a world to their own and I wouldn't put any spec past them.

A head gasket is being blown as a cause of the head warping. So I would never put it back without skimming it (I have seen up to 0,4mm warpage on these engines!). But as you describe it, it seems that you don't have head gasket problems now. Fingers crossed! Remember to retorque the head after about 800 kms as Malcolm said (engine cold, torque 6,0-6,5 kgm ).

About the warning lights, I am sure they are interconnected in the instrument panel by a diode but I don't know which sender lights both of them! Coincidentally I have to look at a R4 with that particular symptom tomorrow!

There has been some talk about fuel pumps here, I remember there were two different lever arm lengths. Is there someone more experienced on fuel pump types here?!
It could be repaired as Malcolm suggested, provided that a suitable (or almost...) diaphragm can be found.

just a quick thought ,perhaps you can get hold of an electric fuel pump ,bolt to inner wing run off 12v ignition feed

Hello again from Kazakhstan - it nice!

well we're slowly getting towards that mongol border, about 4/5 big days to get there then the fun bit, 6 days off road to Ulan Bator :)

Despite our issues the car is running fine at the mo. Bit of overheating, but not really more than you'd expect from an old car going up mountains in the heat.

Biggest issue at the mo is still the fuel in the oil, we had to drain a load yesterday and refill. It was a pretty nasty colour, and it was a bit milky/ congealed under the filler cap. Looks ok this morning after a big ish day on newish oil though. SO we might get away with just draining a load every other day perhaps.

Still smelling petrol a lot, i guess thats related to the above. Could be worse, we bumped into a team in a mini yesterday (with a london phone box on top, of course, why not!), stopped for a chat to discover they had petrol pouring our of their boot! they fixed the fuel line with chewing gum!

I think the Spaniards are way ahead now so electric pump would be the answer if it came to it. I also remembered its actually a Swiss F6, not Spanish, because thats where one of the guys lives. Ours is the one with the body above btw. Also, maybe related, i dont know, but the screws that hold it together seem to get loose each day, we keep doing them up but it doesnt fix the problem.

About torquing the head... I dont think it was even torqued, let alone RE-torqued!! We'll try and get that sorted today.

OK, must go. Might be able to get off an update from Russia before the Mongolia crossing..

Back