Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Painting plastic door pockets.

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi All. I have two brown door pockets. I would like two Black door pockets. Is it possible to paint the plastic door pocket with a paint that won't come off and look tatty after a month or two.
If I can buy two black door pockets I would be very happy, and I can sell my brown ones. But seeing as I cant find black ones, is painting a reliable option. Thanks

Depends very much on the plastic. If they are ABS then almost any solvent based paint will bond to it and be almost impossible to remove. If it is something like Polypropylene or Polyethylene then it will not. You can use adhesion promoter on these plastics but it is not perfect. Look at the Upol plastX range of aerosols on morelli.co.uk. I have used the plastX black primer on ABS without a topcoat.
There is also a product by Wurth called plastic dye. It is brilliant for restoring almost any black plastic but I don't know if it would re colour brown plastic.

I would start by testing with a black aerosol in a place where it wont show. If it is then impossible to scratch off you have ABS.

Thank you. Wish they had to say what type of plastic it is.

It looks to be ABS. They can be painted with automotive paints after applying a "plastic primer". Also, Motip - I am sure others, too - have a range of spray cans named "Bumper Spray" that are suitable for direct spraying on plastics.

Back