Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Part swapping

newtome

Enthusiast
Hi to all,
This may sound funny, but can you swap body parts from different year models, ie... 1973 to 1991 front fender?????? Just wanted to know as I think most of my fix up will come from the junk yard.

Thanks Carl

Most body parts are interchangable between all R4 models. The only exceptions I can think of are the hood (bonnet) (reinforcements on the pre-1979 bonnet foul the late radiator), and the doors (hinges changed about 1979). Other than that you might need to drill holes for the side marker lights, but that's about it.

Front fenders (wings) are £30 each new from Renault in the UK, although I guess that's nearly what you paid for the car.

:clementi:

On a similar subject - can anyone confirm whether front and rear R5 MK1 flexy brake hoses will fit a Renault 4? I should imagine they do as the suspension is so similar.

What a coincidence, this weekend I'm going to a friend's who's rebuilding an R5. I'll take a look and compare to mine (the R4).

Thanks Clementine,
It's the hood I really need to replace, the hood and right front fender where change at some earlier time. Right now the hood won't latch and when you close/open it, it rubs the fender. It would be nice to be able to just go to Renault and buy a new hood/fender, but can't find it here, that's why I have to search the yards. I'd be glad to spend the money for new one's, as I can't wait to get my R4 to the paint shop (dark blue or yellow havn't made up my mind yet). So I take it that I can swap the grey handles/bumper for chrome one's with no problem. One last thing, when they change the fender, it looks like they chaulked between the fender/body, is this normal or should it be removed.

Thanks again, Carl

You would probably be better off fitting a later hood - I think they changed in 1979 when they fitted reinforcements to the edges of the hood and removed the reinforcing bars (those would foul the radiator in your car). I once cut the bars away but the hood became very floppy and didn't close too well. Is the hood rusty or is is possible to hammer the parts that foul the fenders?

You can swap the bumper and handles between models without problems. I'd love to know what the handles are for - they seem unique to the Renault 4. I think they are there to stop the fenders from falling off.

The front fenders were originally painted before the sealant was applied. The black sealant is special - you'll need to buy it from an automotive paint shop - tell them what it's for and they should be able to help.

Hi, have a bonnet if you need it for £25 .Also i think i may have some new flexi hoses and also lots of other spares.i am having a major clear out so just send a list.
Regards Liam

Liam,
Wish I was there, I could give you a big wish list. But since I'm living in
Italy I think the cost for shipping it here will be to much.

If someone knows better about shipping cost, please let me know.

The black sealant is special - you'll need to buy it from an automotive paint shop - tell them what it's for and they should be able to help.
Thanks Clementine for the above info.

Now just got to figure out about the photo album/gallery and I'll put some pic's of my R4 in there.

THANKS Carl

Back