Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Petrol additive or not?

jacktherev

Enthusiast
Hi all
I bought a 1986 Renault 4GTL and would like to know if I need to add anything to the petrol or is it safe to drive on unleaded. If I need to add something, what is it and how much? You can tell I'm not very technical minded but I just love the Renault 4. My very first car was a renault 4L away back in 1965.
Thanks for your help.

Jack the Rev

Hello Jack, check out Technical Help and Tips, section there on fuel additives. Regards Brian.:cool:

Cornish4 had a look in Technical Help and Tips but couldn't find anything. As I'm new to here maybe I could not find it.

Jack the Rev

Hello Jack,

the Search facility on this forum is really useful and often the best place to get started. I searched for 'additive' and a number of threads came up. Try doing that and see how you get on. I found that this thread and the threads leading off it were helpful.

Hope that helps!

no need its an ally head thus meaning it already has valve seat inserts fitted.

I'm of the opposite camp, I know it has an alloy head but the seats they put in them weren't up to the unleaded standard, so I use an additive to help prevent any problems, I do tend to drive my cars hard so I like the comfort of the additive being there.

Funnily enough my daughter was shocked how quick my 4 when trying to follow me in her 140Bhp Ford S-Max diesel! ;) :)

I do not find castrol valvemaster in Italy...
Castrol local shop advised me an Arexon lead replacement, without octane booster...
I think I will try an english vendor on ebay first... 20 euros delivered... quite a lot...
In the meanwhile, I am tempted from a gpl conversion... There is some government contribute, so I will pay it 750 euros...
Petrol is running up... 1,5 euros per liter, today...

All I can say is, when I bought our 83 GTL from Derek at Renospeed, he advised me to use a lead replacement/octane boost product like Castrol Valvemaster, for prolonged hard driving such as motorways and also to UP the fuel octane as the 4 engine runs better at a higher octane. Hope this helps you Jack.:smile:

Perhaps as Cornish says maybe but i recondition cylinder heads and blocks every day and we have never had trouble with Renault 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 etc

Folks,
Thanks so much for all your contributions and I've decided I'll use additive when I will be doing motorway driving.

Jack the Rev

Back