Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Piston and liner set

ggcton

Enthusiast
Does anyone know if all R4 pistons are flat topped.
I bought a renault piston and liner set part number 7701 455 350 but the crowns are not flat and I have been unable to match the part number to check which vehicle they fit.
Thanks Gary

747 (3-bearing) and 956 (5-bearing) engines use pistons with humps on their crowns. Is this the case on your pistons? What bore diameter do they have?

I bought a set of the pistons, rings, liners, pins and gaskets in Germany as shown in the picture. The piston tops seem to be quite pretty flat. They are designed for 845 cc.

• písty-R4.jpg
    písty-R4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 135
Hi all having cleaned up the box a bit I have found a hand written message stating R5TL.
Can anyone confirm this and if so what is the engine size.
Gary

• Image025.jpg
    Image025.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 128
Hi all,

befor I fit it oppositely: who knows, what means this symbol on the piston top? Is it a travel direction? A crankshaft symbol? Many thanks.

Pavel :)

• znaky na pístu 01.jpg
    znaky na pístu 01.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 127
To ggton: The pistons are for the 956cc engine, that means Renault 4 Savane (post-87 TL). Also R5 TL.

To Pavel: This symbol must be towards the flywheel end of the engine. This should be done in conjunction with the correct connecting rod orientation, both of them are important! Consult your workshop manual, there must be a drawing somewhere showing all of these.

Thanks Angel I will now have to decide what to do with them as my 4 is an 84GTL and I do not have a 5 (at present)
Gary

They will fit your existing engine, without any other modifications needed (maybe some compression ratio measurement), but I doubt you want to downsize your engine... :-)

Back