Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Piston rings for Renault 4 1108 cc

I enjoyed that debate :D.

Didn't we decide that was just the 750cc and 850cc engines so that the starting handle would turn in the right direction? I'm sure someone suggested the 1108 would turn in the correct direction for a rear engined car.

If this is a problem, I guess I just have to switch position of the engine and mount it in the front of the boat instead or the rear. If the engine goes backward, it will instead pull the boat. GOOD idea Steve! I am so glad you told me! ;)

-------

You seem to know which model number belongs to which car... How about this DAF enginenumber - BR110E .

I don't yet know the size of the engine, all I know is that I've been told that there is a NEW (!) such engine standing (in it's original box, never used) in a garage 600 km :( from here. If that engine fits my sterndrive or the fittings to the boat's engine adaptor is unknown. According to the person I've been in contact with, this engine should be the same as for R8/R10. If this is a 1100cc or something else is unknown as of now.

And YES, I know it's crazy even to consider this... :)

Googling the DAF engine code it appears to be a Renault 1108cc engine. It's got a high compression (10:1) and 63hp rating.

I found a photo: http://8w.forix.com/altpower/daf55-engine.jpg Looks like the waterpump is at the opposite side of the engine from the Renault 8. The attachment for the bellhousing looks odd too. And Steve might have a point about engine rotation direction - wouldn't like to say which direction it turns.

So that wasn't a joke then...?

So in what direction SHOULD it go then? (seen from where?) Is the direction marked on the engine?

I've been told that I should be able to get this engine (no carbs, starter etc) for about £120 , but it sure would be a shame to have to mount the engine in the front of the boat instead. :)

Here's the thread about engine rotation: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=50 It involves a Renault Dauphine with 3 reverse gears.

As far as I know all of the Renault 1108cc engines turn anti-clockwise when viewed from the flywheel end. But for engines fitted with dynamos instead of alternators they normally fitted an attachment for an engine cranking handle and set the engine up so the cranking handle would turn clockwise. That's why the 850cc Renault 4 engine didn't work in the Dauphine, but the 1108cc engine would.

Looking at the DAF, the engine is reversed with the flywheel behind the engine so it should turn in the same direction as the Renault 8. Your problem might be connecting up the cooling hoses which look like they are at the wrong side of the engine for your boat (normally they are at the flywheel end).

I could not resist continuing the hypoid gearing and counterclockwise rotation topic... By studying closer some Dauphine gearbox drawings, it seems that its final drive teeth cut is not hypoid,therefore the crownwheel CAN be turned over without any wear or power loss on the final drive (therefore a R4 engine can be fitted on a Dauphine).

I bought the factory new engine (as described earlier in this thread). After some negotiations I got it for £74 (€107). :D It seems like a bargain... (and if it's a loss, it's not that big of a loss)

There are some work to do, changing the gaskets etc (it's been in its original box for about 30 years), swapping some parts from my other engines to this new one, but I am quite certain there will be no major problems with that - I hope. :)

Thank you all for all the help I have got from you!

Last edited:
Back