Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Plans Scrapped Renault 4 engine now not needed

Jeepman 1943

Enthusiast
I am looking for a good used engine to suit my 1985 F4 van if none around will a 5 engine fit ?

Jim ( E4GTL) has a 1300 engine for just £150 that has been running ( now removed) slap on No1 but can be fixed

I have 3. But they are all 1095cc. Two of them are brand new unused, but were made for a Ransomes mower. I put one in my F6 van in Spain. Minor modifications were required, and very stiff to start, but now running beautifully and far more economical than the original one. Don't have carbs, starter motors or alternator. Third one I got from the local tip. Looks as though someone has done it up, and looks as though it may have come from some other vehicle than an R4, such as an R6 as the rocker cover looks a little different. But it is clean and repainted on the outside, but I have no idea what it is like mechanically. I gave the guy £20.00 for it. You can have any of them, but the new ones are a little more obviously as I have to pay my wife's uncle for them.

Jim ( E4GTL) has a 1300 engine for just £150 that has been running ( now removed) slap on No1 but can be fixed
Thanks, I am really after a good runner that I can drop straight in while I rebuild mine to be honest.

If you've got an F4 van some were 845 3 bearing type and some 1108
Interchangeable not simple as loads of difference between the two setups
Maybe you knew this already

If you've got an F4 van some were 845 3 bearing type and some 1108
Interchangeable not simple as loads of difference between the two setups
Maybe you knew this already
No I didn't know there was any difference to be honest. I have bought one from tim1casa on here that originally was meant for a Ransome Mower. He assures me that he has one of these in his F4 already and there was some swapping of parts over but the rest was pretty straightforward. Does anyone know more ?

Hi Jeepman,
Check the number on the engine that you want to replace if it says 688 or C1E you are probably safe. To replace it with the Spanish engine..

If it says 800 or b1b you have a ventoux engine and you will be in for a shitload of changes to make it fit. Including a gearbox swap.

All uk F4 were 845 upto 81 when they stopped selling them hete all uk f6 1108
So it surprised me when I spotted 1108 in European F4 vans and not 845

Engine turns WRONG way I'm afraid, I only saw the above warning AFTER I had bought it. My current engine turns clockwise both engine AND distributor the replacement I bought turns the opposite. So has ANYONE got the correct engine for a French F4 please :laughing: ?

Engine turns WRONG way I'm afraid, I only saw the above warning AFTER I had bought it. My current engine turns clockwise both engine AND distributor the replacement I bought turns the opposite. So has ANYONE got the correct engine for a French F4 please :laughing: ?
Jeepman I have no engine but maybe the unsuitable engine would be OK for a Gtl ? See my PM

Hi Jeepman,
Does the engine number say 850 on the Spanish engine?
Then it's a FASA build Cleon engine with a displacement of 1037 cc. And 42 hp.
It was specially made for the Spanish R5 GTL and R7

You can sell it to any GTL owner who wants some more power in his R4

Hi Jeepman,
Does the engine number say 850 on the Spanish engine?
Then it's a FASA build Cleon engine with a displacement of 1037 cc. And 42 hp.
It was specially made for the Spanish R5 GTL and R7

You can sell it to any GTL owner who wants some more power in his R4
Unsure to be honest although someone has shown an interest after seeing pictures so it may not end its days as a boat anchor ;)

Hi, sorry to hear about the trouble your having, i know it can be tedious when you can't find the problem my son's F6 (which was mine) had a similar one and that was the carb gasket had perished and sucking air so would not run at low speeds but fine when driving but runs fine now :-)
I'm not far away from you so if you want i could pop over sometime and have a look ?

Hi, sorry to hear about the trouble your having, i know it can be tedious when you can't find the problem my son's F6 (which was mine) had a similar one and that was the carb gasket had perished and sucking air so would not run at low speeds but fine when driving but runs fine now :-)
I'm not far away from you so if you want i could pop over sometime and have a look ?
Thanks that would be very kind of you, yesterday I swapped the carb for one I bought (wrong) the car runs exactly the same :doh:

Have decided to give up on the R4 engine swap, thanks for all the advice. Have not totally given up on the van though, just I have wasted enough time and money trying to buy parts online. It is usable as it is so it will do for now.

Last edited:
Patients is a virtue, i can pop over at the weekend if you would like ?
I will TRY and identify the points, rotor arm and distributor cap by posting a picture on here later hopefully someone may know what they are and then I can order some. You are more than welcome to come over anytime

Back