Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Please Help!!

Briangrech

Enthusiast
Hello any tips appreciated for those following my thread you know i have done extensive work on my Renault 4 .Today i was shocked as the back chassis legs are miles away from the body. hTe front fits rather fine but the rear shifts away from the chassis,Tried everythibg but i'm stuck on what to do. Have a million worries, did i go wrong with th chassis work is the body or chassis warped.. Just dont know.Please help as to what is wrong.Thanks

387414100_1594516408029815_1100594172438675120_n.jpg 400590309_221711384284652_3963498709028331279_n.jpg 400256285_6772432399514113_8919883102104569760_n.jpg

Chassis dimensions are here https://www.renault4.co.uk/chassis-jig-dimensions/mr61.gif
Check dimensions G trough K.

I wouldn't worry too much, just check everything at an easy pace.
Is the body already partially bolted at the front?
When not then you can use clamps to force the body to the chassis or start from back to front.
View attachment 32463
The rear chassis legs got bent during the chassis resto(there is a 6.5cm gapfrom the rear legs to where they should be attached) i will bend them back next week. Hopefully all goes well.Thanks for your reply

A 6,5 cm gap is not a small one :o I went through your full resto topic but could not see where things might got wrong in terms of where the cassis legs got bent.
My R4 is still in a full resto proces as well and from here https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/r4-gtl-1985-restoration.8252/post-57497 you can see the progress where I replaced both chassis legs by means of a rear chassis jig. The one and only thing I always had in mind was dimensions, dimensions and dimensions.

Keep up the good work you did so far and yes a small glitch might always occur.

A 6,5 cm gap is not a small one :o I went through your full resto topic but could not see where things might got wrong in terms of where the cassis legs got bent.
My R4 is still in a full resto proces as well and from here https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/r4-gtl-1985-restoration.8252/post-57497 you can see the progress where I replaced both chassis legs by means of a rear chassis jig. The one and only thing I always had in mind was dimensions, dimensions and dimensions.

Keep up the good work you did so far and yes a small glitch might always occur.
They must have got bent while being transported on jig to the blasters and back or while i was working on it.May i please ask if the rear chassis legs you replaced are plug welded on the outside only, that is the sides of the leg and the bottom part and lower lips? Thanks

The rear chassis legs are plug welded at every side so the front, top, rear and bottom because they are important structural parts of the chassis.
Plug welding from the outside is indeed the easiest way but be sure to make good use of clamps and I always checked dimensions after every weld.
MR 176 is a must during chassis and body welding I attached a copy

• MR176 Renault R4 Chassis and Body UK.PDF
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
The rear chassis legs are plug welded at every side so the front, top, rear and bottom because they are important structural parts of the chassis.
Plug welding from the outside is indeed the easiest way but be sure to make good use of clamps and I always checked dimensions after every weld.
MR 176 is a must during chassis and body welding I attached a copy
wow thanks alot for your help!will see how it goes.Thanks again

Back