Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

plymouth-timbuktu 09/10

Team Two-by-Four

Enthusiast
westSahara3er.jpg

hello,
On the 24th of December 2009 at 11:30am one fabricator (Charles Page), one pipefitter (Michael Rowlands) both from Babcock marine (Devonport dockyard) and a 41year French car will set off from Plymouth on an epic journey to Bamako Mali, this will see team Two-by-Four cover approximately 5000miles through 9countries and across 2continants all in around 3weeks all in the name of charity!

This is the route:

mappy.jpg

• starting from Plymouth we will head north to the mothers for Christmas dinner and final farewells!
  • travelling under the sea, Paris is our first stop.
  • from there (after a spin around the Arch de Triomphe and a hike up the Eiffel tower of course) to Andorra, hitting the slopes if time permits.
  • next stop Alicante this is just to break up the drive through Spain, no real reason other than that.
  • final stop in Europe is Tarifa this is where we will catch the ferry to Morocco.
  • now the journey really begins and heads into the unknown, we will be staying in Marrakesh for New Years Eve (and probably new year’s day!)
  • next is a 2-3day drive through the Western Sahara following the coast.
  • once through the Sahara we will tackle Mauritania.
  • and finally Mali when our actual finish point will be Bamako (this is due to the route to Timbuktu being known as the car killer and as the basic idea of the challenge is to take a group of banger cars costing around £100 from Plymouth to Africa, on arrival auction off the vehicles to the highest bidder to raise money for charity so they’ve decided to move the finish line)

The vehicle of choice

r4bonnetup.jpg

r4front.jpg

r4side.jpg

Stats
• Make: Renault 4L
• Year: 1968
• Engine: 0.8ltr (30bhp)
• Millage: 64000km
• 0-60: how long you got?
• Top speed: 72mph

The challenge is totally unsupported and will be 9cars containing 19people travelling through many climates and over rough terrain.

For full details please visit the www.plymouth-dakar.co.uk we are in group 4 of the Timbuktu section.
The challenge will be paid for by ourselves and all money raised will go to the two charities we have picked which are the Rotary club Amitié (www.rotary.org) The rotary club will be helping people in Africa to improve fresh drinking water, schools and housing, and St. Luke’s hospice (www.stlukes-hospice.org) St. Luke’s hospice which helps and cares for terminally ill patients in Plymouth and surround area.
To raise extra money for the charities we are turning to you to give as much as you can, anything that you can spare will be greatly received and will make a difference. (The online donations will be set up in the next few days)

We require a few parts for the car some need replacing now and others would be invaluable spares so if you’d like to sponsor us in a different way these would also be greatly received.
  • we require a water pump (bearing is gone in the one fitted)
  • a rocker cover gasket (one fitted leaks like a sieve)
  • alternator (not sure what wrong with it but it’s not charging the battery)
  • fuel pump (this works fine but my mechanic told me these are weak and that we should take a spare)
  • complete dizzy and coil (coil is fine but again he thinks we should take a spare as for the dizzy points are new but the shaft the rotor arm fits to is worn and there’s a fair bit of play in it)
  • any other bits if left off that you think I shouldn’t of
If you don’t have anything to spare, info on where to get bits cheap and also any tricks and tips you could give would be greatly received.

Thank you,

meandhim-1.jpg

Charles Page and Michael Rowlands

online donations for st.lukes hospice are now set up.
if youd like to donate please click below.
every time you donate through just giving the goverment gives a gift aid!
i am working on getting the rotary clubs online donations set up as we speak.
http://www.justgiving.com/team2by4

cheers team two-by-four

i see weve had alot of views but no replies, i know this is not your normal post and we are new on here, but any help you could give would be a great help, we have the back seat which is in pretty good condition and it is up for offer or in exchange for parts?
thanks team two by four

Please be patient as it's unlikely that all the users of this forum will log in to it in a 24 hour period!! Spares for the earlier models are harder to come by, but not impossible. You are not really giving yourselves a lot of time to get this car prepared for which is quite an arduous journey. I assume that you have to get it MOTable anyway.

Not wanting to put a dampener on your project, but an 1100cc GTL would be a far better bet in terms of reliability, performance and braking and for any spares that you may need to take with you for 'insurance' purposes are readily available.

You also indicated that you have a mechanic assisting you at the present but will either of you be proficient enough to repair the car if problems are encountered on the journey?

Still, wish you both the best of luck.

Steve

Please be patient as it's unlikely that all the users of this forum will log in to it in a 24 hour period!! Spares for the earlier models are harder to come by, but not impossible. You are not really giving yourselves a lot of time to get this car prepared for which is quite an arduous journey. I assume that you have to get it MOTable anyway.

Not wanting to put a dampener on your project, but an 1100cc GTL would be a far better bet in terms of reliability, performance and braking and for any spares that you may need to take with you for 'insurance' purposes are readily available.

You also indicated that you have a mechanic assisting you at the present but will either of you be proficient enough to repair the car if problems are encountered on the journey?

Still, wish you both the best of luck.

Steve

Sorry we did not mean it to come across that way, just excited I guess.

Yeah the 4 is getting MOT'ed tonight and I have no doubts it will breeze it.

your right an 1100 probably would of been the vehicle of choice but getting one for as cheap and as sound as this one would be hard and have you seen the artwork you can’t not take it on such a trip (if you’ve got an 1100 you want to swap with similar artwork we would be willing to swap:D)
We brought it back from France with little trouble other than a dodgy alternator o yeah and an fzr 400 "in" the back!
There are a lot of parts on eBay, I just wanted to see it anyone was willing to help on here as fellow Renault 4lovers (we have the rear seats to barter with:p)

although are mechanical knowledge is limited we are learning to do things that will get us out of trouble on the road side, again this is why we came to you guys for any tips and remedies to problems we may encounter.
Thank you for your reply.

Team two-by-four

thanks pm'ed them, they managed alot further than we need to go but im sure they incountered all the problems we will!
cheers,
2by4

Back