Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Possible advice on 1999 diesel Kangoo?

laxeian

Enthusiast
Ladyfriend of mine drives a Kangoo, garage she DID use advised her of a waterpump problem, the cure she was given was an engine change and a bill for a €1k, since the swop it has had recurrent overheating problems, the same garage then changed the multi water pipe that runs from header to thermostat housing and radiator.
I have replaced the header tank ( old one split), all replaced jubilee clip at all end on replaced pipe had at least 7 ratchet turns on them to tight, filled and bled and its still leaking fluid, appears to be coming from area of thermostat housing ( which appears new), suspect one pipe from rear of housing to heater matrix ( its a ‘quick fit’ one end of pipe, any advice on how to unclip without damage, or are these one use pipes), or the housing itself, when running I cannot see a leak now, there was leakage from pipes due to jubilee clip, but if I reach under thermostat housing and wipe hand there is dampness to touch
There is no sign of water in oil or visa versa.
When I look at the pipes from thermostat housing to heater matrix I am unsure if they have been connected the correct way round ( the pipes don't sit correctly to my eyes, the top bulkhead pipe goes into bottom thermostat pipe bottom bulkhead into top, so the pipes have a ‘ twist’ where there need not be one, could an unintentional reversal by the ‘ mechanics’ that swapped engine and pipe potentially cause problems?
Any advise or pointers?

Start the engine and look into the header tank, if you see bubbles coming up then the head gasket has gone, or the head is cracked.

Take it back to garage ask for it to be fixed properly or refund the money paid
1.9 or 1.5 diesel dont respond well to overheating as heads crack rare to be able to just change gasket and fix these
You are not supposed to use ordinary jubilee clip on plastic housings as they will crush up and crack housing
They use spring ear clips at factory

Thanks for replies/advice.
Did localise it down to the plastic thermostat housing itself,when up to running temp it would dribble middle underside.
Meantime guy at garage threw some Radweld in it so its all now fixed and perfect.:whistle:

Thanks Robert!,
Follow on to this vans saga is that has now gone to the great breakers in the sky ( after it was abandonded somewhere on the side of the road enroute to Madrid!), its ECU packed up, lady now has a new Dacia van, even more gizmoididitory on it, lovely, flashing dash light for gear-change etc., sat nav, bluetooth etc.etc., she can now use the handsfree to call as she is breaking down instead of waiting until parked up at side of road, but fortunately a full manufactures warranty to back up.
Still prefer the management systems of what I choose to drive to be on my shoulders and not under the bonnet/dash though, hence the F6.

Back