Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Possible future insurance wows?

laxeian

Enthusiast
My F6 has been off the road over the winter and lockdown period here in Spain, its a 1985 model, I let the insurance lapse over this period, although until the last date full paid up etc.etc., the van is registered here as a ‘normal’ vehicle, not classic or historic due to milage limitations imposed by insurance companies if registered so. Previously the insurance was circa €350 a year, minimum insurance ( 3rd party in Uk speak), no milage limits etc, van was used for original purpose, ie. economical, maintainable transport.
Over the past few weeks I have been to various local brokers ( on advice from people as to where their cars are insured through and also the broker I used previously), I am having problems finding a company that will insure a vehicle of this age as normal, one broker explained that here policies where actually cheaper for newer vehicles than older cars (10 yrs onwards the policies price increases upwards due to vehicle age, this guy tried 6 companies he dealt with, the computer saying no in each case, he suggested that it is legalastive(spellchecker probs) policies being imposed, I initially had no problem whatsoever insuring it)
So two questions, firstly, Is anyone else experiencing similar problems with insuring 4s as ‘normal’ vehicles anywhere in the EU?, or is Spain just awkward!
Secondly, does anyone run a 4 as normal in Spain that could pass on their insurance company name?

Last edited:
Big sigh of relief!!....speaking to an owner of a retro car here ( ie 20 plus years), been informed of an insurance company here in Spain that will insure said age and over third party and recovery with an annual limit of 5000km without going the historico route here, will be receiving the proposal forms over the next few days ( If any other forum members are having problems with insuring cars/vans of a certain age plus without registering as historico here in Spain feel free to message me via forum, will pass details on, was arranged for myself over phone/net by Spanish national friend/enthusiast, so waiting on forms for correct spellings). Unlike standard policies here in Spain this insurance although basic is not loaded due to age of vehicles. Much happier posting this than a post in the ‘Cars for sale’ thread:laughing:

Last edited:
Back