Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Post Accident Help...

Nick Banwell

Enthusiast
Three weeks ago someone reversed into the front of my R4 causing damage to the front driver's side - a little crease under the bumper and on the wing. In addition to this the car is leaning slightly and the bonnet will not close.
I have been offered a pretty generous settlement by the third party insurers who are surprisingly clued up re the value of R4s.
My question - how easy and expensive is it to sort out the suspension - all fine across the car but leading slightly on drivers side?

Also - they want to write the car off as a category D write off and give me back the car. They say that I can still drive the car after this. Is it better to accept the higher amount that this brings, or the lesser amount (£200 less) for the repairs without the write off stigma?

Unfortunately they are refusing point blank to repair my car, hence the 'generous settlement' (insurance company's words)

Finally - Does anyone know of a good garage to take my car to who would know what they are doing - preferably near to my home in Newton Abbot, South Devon?

Any help/ advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

• !B14dknwCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!igE)qydcMh7BMgQ0b5UsQ~~_35.jpg
    !B14dknwCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!igE)qydcMh7BMgQ0b5UsQ~~_35.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 271
You could try Robert Doran in Exmouth he knows 4s very well and runs a body repair shop.
I cannot remember the Garage name but he is an RCCC member and you can contact him at speedwayrob@hotmail.comGary

Also - they want to write the car off as a category D write off and give me back the car. They say that I can still drive the car after this.

I'm not 100% certain but if the car is classified Cat D it is recorded as only light damage but would still need a VIC check and new MOT to be legal again?

I wouldn't worry about any stigma of it having been written off personally. These are old cars and can be written off very easily, keep plenty of details - photos etc in case it ever became an issue if / when you sell it.

Hi there Nick, hope you get your 4 sorted, it looks like a nice car and well looked after. Would you be interested in joining the run down to France next year? I'm trying to drum up support from owners down this way. Brian. :-)

Hi Brian, having you got anything better to do than surfing the net...need hand moving units if you havnt...;)

Thanks for all the advice.
I am now in contact with the suggested man in Exmouth and hope to get things sorted.
Here's hoping...

Exmouth..Exmouth ..rings a bell

..You may or may not believe it but EXMOUTH is where I was born and bred and I have never heard of Robert Doran

This is my house when the the sailing club fell into the docks entrance - I spent all that stormy night with my hands on the walls of the sailing club stopping it falling into the docks entrance and was asked to be Commodore for life of the sailing club as a 'thank you' - A bit like Peet Hind sticking his finger in some dutch dike!!

• Sir Ian.jpg
    Sir Ian.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 243
  • Ian s.jpg
    Ian s.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 233
Just in case you meet Robert he joined the local renault garage at 15 years of age until setting up his motor body repair shop with his brother.
Robert is south west rep for the Renault Classic car Club and coordinates our stand at the Powderham castle show.
I bought an R4 spares car from him whch Bobble now has.
Robert does know his old Renaults.
Gary

that digger is going to need an engine rebuild now

..Well Michael and Mark

..Today Le Moulin Bodin - Tomorrow, 5 Shelly Road Exmouth doing an engine rebuild on an aquatic digger?

At this rate you will be doing more 'roving around' miles per annum than Doctor Pepper - aka Richard and not Judy!!

PS Team...I am thinking of moving my allegiance from Renault to Citroen - Would you all take me off your Christmas Card list if I did?

• CIMG4178 e.jpg
    CIMG4178 e.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 109
  • CIMG4179 e.jpg
    CIMG4179 e.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 107
I've done that a few times, did I mention I hate Citroens???

Well I hate the fact that when working on something like a poorly engine the suspension is flat on the floor so it kills my back when working on them!

I've changed the heads and cambelts on so many of those engines that I could almost do it in my sleep! I used to run the 1.9Td version in our old VW camper, by crikey did it shift!

Ian, lovely meal last night, thank you. Will be going back to that place, when are they moving over the road?
Will you promise to keep those exhaust clamp springs polished, or at least until i return to service Le Citroen? Michael

Thanks for all the help. I got my car back last week - looking great and running beautifully. Can recommend Robert Doran in Exmouth - he has done a great job.

Back