Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Price for a "New" R4

gpovanman

More than a 4 is excess!
I bought my R4 Clan at the end of April, but didn't get round to driving it until May. Since then, I have been to 6 countries in it and covered 15000 km. I bought it with 57000 kms on the clock, and it was a one owner from new, and old lady who could no longer drive. The only things that have needed to be done to it other than routine maintenance (I change my oil every 3000kms) I routinely use lead additive, I don't know whether this is absolutely necessary, but it is cheaper than a new head! I am completely bitten by the bug, and am looking at acquiring a new one. I paid €1800 for the one that I have now, which is a 1990 model. Another 1990 model has come up in Mallorca, which has only got 13000 kms on the clock, again a one old owner from new job. The problem is that they are asking €4500 for it. Is this an unreasonable price for what is an old car that no one wants in Mallorca, or should I bite the bullet, and put my hand in my pocket? Big money for a banger, or a nearly new car for secondhand money?

www.segundamano.es

I saw an Italian one with only 100 km on the clock for € 5000,- on eBay. Really clean, new state as if it came out of the showroom yesterday! Maybe worth a look? On the other hand my experience with Renault engines is that you can easily do 332.000 without a need to rebuild the engine. Maybe it's worth looking at another engine and gearbox if the rest of the car is still decent. Or is it to be a second car for the family?

No, the R4 that I have is well decent, but to get my mitts on one that is almost as good as new would be great as well. The thing is that there are loads of them not only on the roads, but in scrappers as well in the Balearics, where I have a very good contact base, so parts are not a problem. There are also quite a few seixes stil knocking around as well, and they are virtually unknown these days. Mechanically the same as a R4, just a lot rarer.

Just a thought, but are there many Mk1 R5's over there? I'm looking for donor vehicles for my R4 project.

Cheers.

Andy.

SNIP> The thing is that there are loads of them not only on the roads, but in scrappers as well in the Balearics, where I have a very good contact base, so parts are not a problem. There are also quite a few sixes still knocking around as well, and they are virtually unknown these days. Mechanically the same as a R4, just a lot rarer.

There are still some knocking around, but the owners tend to keep hold of them. I am not there until xmas, so I cannot get into any real contact at the moment, but as I have posted before: www.segundamano.es
You should be able to find your way around, it is a pretty logical site. There is also a good breakers called Noel in the city centre. You usually find cars like this abandoned by the side of the road. But I have Never nicked bits of them like some other people do before the council tow truck takes them away. Honest.

Back