Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Project turbo R4

Ivvan

Enthusiast
Hi all I was inactive for a while, but that will change :)

Inspired with malcoms gordini R4 project, and other alpina/gordini R4 conversons I decided to do something similar.

I am starting a very interesting porject with limited budget but unlimited time :D

At start I was planing an R5 gordini/alpina turbo engine, unfortunately it is nearly impossible to find one in Serbia. In search of it I found an R18 turbo with blown head gasket for nearly 350 euros, and it became donor No.1 :hug:
It is a 83. model with 807a727 carb 1.6 turbo engine and 109 bhp

After a while I found donor No.2

an old rusted R5 ts with an 5 speed gearbox, ideal donor. I am still negotiating, but it will not cost more than 100 euros.

The idea is to use the 1.6 turbo engine, R5 ts gearbox and complete suspension and of course a "couple" more modifications :D:D
I am not sure if somebody attempted to do something similar or am I the first with this crazy idea...

Curently the biggest problem is the project car I still don`t have one :roll:
I cannot decide if I`ll use my old 845ccm tl or will I buy a 1108ccm gtl.

More progress with pics soon...

Best regards Ivan

Mr-reno-139 on this forum fitted a 1600 engine to his car. He had to make some new parts to extend the bulkhead into the cabin. I'm not sure if he fitted the same 1600 engine.

He also tells me the TX gearbox was not strong enough for the 1600 engine. His car now has a Gordini gearbox. I'm hoping it will be strong enough for the 1400 Gordini engine as that's the gearbox I plan to use. Maybe I'll have to be careful when driving.

An 1100 would be easier to convert - they already have disc brakes at the front, and the dash mounted handbrake on early cars can get in the way of the engine.

Sounds like a brilliant project. Do keep us up to date with progress.

Hi

Gerbox is probably not strong enough and torque will kill it easy. But there is only one way to find out :hug::D:D
I am stil looking for an gordini gearbox or complete car.

Progres is slow, but there will be new pictures soon :wink:

hi ivvan
good luck with project , i did try and fit 18 turbo engine to my toy after originally fitting R16 tx engine to 1300 4sp 5 gearbox
much measuring and trial fittingmeant the water pump was hitting body also problems with steering colum and manifolds
may be ok with lhd ?

ended up reusing 1647engine , renault 20 tl bell housing and input shaft , 5 gordini/alpine box

had to cut bulkhead and floor /chassis out as 1600 block is longer

few pics incase you havent seen my car these are old ones from about 1993

now back in use when its not raining :(,

more pics/ info on request

paul

• PP12c.jpg
    PP12c.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 464
  • PP12b.jpg
    PP12b.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 405
  • PP12d.jpg
    PP12d.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 395
Hi mr-reno-139 and thanks for the pics.
Is the renault 20 tl housing necessary or I can use the original bell housing?

I am puling the turbo engine out this weekend, more pics coming.

One more thing will the 1600 block be in a way for the gear lever ?

Back