Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Quatrelle Sport

jeffr4

senior tool assistent
Because of the progress, I have started a new thread on the construction of a new kit car. It's a nice wintertime job and now that my other projects on the R4 are either almost finished ( the super5 1.4 injection engine), or still has to be started next year februari/march ( new turbo-injection conversion) we can spent time on this.

jpeo8h.jpg

The page to be followed on : http://jeffr4.weebly.com/design--build-a-new-kitcar-quatrelle-sport.html

Hearby also a picture from a earlier kitcar (based on a other french brand car), with much experience has been gained.
My son, looking proud, behind the steering wheel

nbdhzp.jpg

It is a shame that Renault 4s are cannibalised and butchered to create pastiches of cars.

I am surprised that these grotesque kit cars would appeal to a fan of the Renault 4.

Tilbury etc are cheap imitations of cars that were not even great to begin with.

I don't see them as a problem, if there weren't many left I would find it a shame but im not sure there's a major shortage of left hand drive R4's. Probably many better examples going to the crusher than being used for projects like this.

I don't mind these kit cars. Not something I'd have myself (to be fair even stuff like 1930's & 40's MGs do nothing for me) but theres no shortage of donor cars so its not really an issue I wouldn't think.

Each to their own and all that. I'd rather see one of these on the road than a Prious or suchlike.

I am surprised that these grotesque kit cars would appeal to a fan of the Renault 4.

Tilbury etc are cheap imitations of cars that were not even great to begin with.

I am not ashamed, but you are probely right that a real fan of the Renault 4 would appeal to this kitcar..or any kitcar.

And you are right also about the Tilbury, that's why I choose the british legendary cars like the Mogan ,as an example , because this model last forever and is awsome!
One of my main goals is not to build a cheap bathtub, but a good looking and good constructed car, out of different composiet ( maybe also kevlar) and metal safety frame's. etc.

It is part of my hobby and as it is very hard to build a new car with a new to build chassis and get a type-approval accoording to the safety standards ( abs, chrash test, airbags etc) I choosse the R4 chassis.

And ofcourse....I do not use my pretty gendarmerie R4!!! You may look, but donot t....
But on the other hand I did some notty things with my R4 too, so also not original :mad:

Indeed the wrong forum to start this tread and I will post on the kitcar forum, so last post about this here

2125w2h.jpg

http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/394155480.htm?ca=10_s

Look this is hobby,
use the old decayed chassis , recondition and rebuild with a standard engine.

The condition of the chassis may be far-reaching, aslong as the papers are available,then we even can use a new chassis to delivered by Melun Retro Passion, which can be ordered in 2013 (hopefully), be extradited.

The old chassisnumber is to be used for the new one.
So though the R4 is going to a chop shop .... and is not left to salvage, the papers are still available .... I want it ! ... and preferably, specially RHD!! :D
or only the RHD steering is enough for me!

Hi Jeffr4,
I think 'grotesque' is very much a matter of opinion. I for one would be interested in seeing this thread continue, especially about the Morgan homage in the first picture.

Good luck with the build. It looks like you are quite a way there already...

Jeff - please continue with this thread. I find all your posts extremely interesting and as long as it's Renault 4 based then that's fine by me. Those people who appear to be offended by your project have the choice whether to read it or not. I, for one, look forward to reading more as the work progresses.

Steve

Thanks!!for your support and to think that I am also asked by R4owners, to design a kit car!

Beside on the basis of a R4 (just like I did with the installation of the Super5 1400 injection engine )I wanted to give openness to the process so from the beginning till the end and from a rough wooden model, scrabed and rounded etc to the molds and the end result like the model before :

24npm4p.jpg

This time I am not insprired bij the MG, but imagen the looks of a real Morgan with nice wheels and classic carbumpers etc. and the superb comfort and solidity of the R4....mine will be britishgreen! Even the bonnet and the doors get innerframes etc.

My ethousiasme borders rabies :eek:

Now that I am not only into the VW Aircooled and the Hotrod-scene and my R4, but also the kitcar, I look ofcourse with special interest and saw this Ford Roadster Oldtimer Genie Clubmann / de Wasp (not too bad model or bathtube) on internet with a genius usage...The R4 tail lights:D
2u7shld.jpg

2iapq2b.jpg

2ij5ea0.jpg

(It's less than a complete chassis) :) And I am gonna use other lights

I'm fascinated how you have fitted wire wheels to the red car. Are they genuine knock on wires or bolt on wires. If they are bolt ones where did you find them with the ultra odd three stud fixings? If they are knock on did you have the adapters made to fit yourself?

Just imagine a normal R4 on wires. That would be the ultimate in chintz!!

With special made adapters from MWS Slough

35na9as.jpg

Link webside : http://www.mwsint.com/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=1

But keep in mind, they are very expensive! The price is higher then a good R4.

And the kit must look perfect, also on these details and I search for all kinds of possibilities, to create a beautiful and affordable solution.
First of all not the 13 Inch wheels, too small looking for the kit, but 15 Inch ones.
Snailshed : "Just imagine a normal R4 on wires. That would be the ultimate in chintz!! "

What about this affordable solution:
153bofd.jpg

34e5b91.jpg

30v1yrl.jpg

Not so nice, as the real british original made ones, but much cheaper

I myself find that a kit car should look like a "real car", so the model, the splash, the doors etc etc ,separately drilling.
Also the construction of the composite approaches a real car, made of metal, so less thickness, firmer material and with innerframes and firming frames.

And then everything ofcourse depends on the details,color of the car, the lights, the bumpers, the wheels, the convertible top, steering wheel and dashboard,,,,
but ofcourse this is the choise of the builder.

But yes often are designed professional kitcars, for example the beautiful Royal Sabre, priceless and I try in combination with a good existing platform of the R4, to design an affordable, beautiful and good looking kit car, which by the builder itself is easy to assemble and to own taste and money.

As I said, I'm impressed with your dedication to get the details right. I took the easy option and bought a Morgan, in British racing green.

I saw that blue R4 at Thenay last year. The wheels do look pretty good, even if they're not genuine wires. With the lowered body, skirts, flared arches and smoothed boot, it's definitely a vehicle for cruising round town not playing in the mud like I like :)

Edit: And a customised grille too. I think this photo must be later as dual chrome exhausts and a few stickers seem to have been added.

• _MG_8851.jpg
    _MG_8851.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 261
Yes..you are right, the pictures I showed from Jimmy Popek's Blue R4 ( the guy with the cowboyhat) are taken earlier and I also saw/talk to him in Thenay.
The wheels are not such a bad substitution, concidering the price and these ones are Mangels custom made in the 80th.

BTW,I myself donot like the visable dual chrome exhaust for a R4, that's why I have had built my exhaust underneath,on the site, like most of the R4 have
http://jeffr4.weebly.com/project-1400-cc-monoinjectie-7.html Oktober 2012
( so downpage)

As the Mangels are not made/available anymore and I want the 15 Inch size, instead of 13 Inch, I am in conversation with a manufacturer( Servië), also for 15 Inch steal ones like this model :

xejtyo.jpg

Ohh.... Life is wunderfull

In addition to the designs on the computer with the ACAD program, making a 1 on 1 model and the molds for the composite, is turning and milling with the hand a nice activity to make the plug for the headlight housing.:D

5ju3gj.jpg

The plug should still be primed and sanded to the right flat shape and be integreated/embadded in the fender.
The headlight of the red kit car is as an example of an earlier project.

A holder for the headlight. exactly in the middle and the mold can be made of this.
The grill, Fender behind and the dash board with the 2 curves have almost the exact shape to to make a mold also.

auzjwj.jpg

Back