Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R17 thermo switch

LeePepper

Enthusiast
Hello, I have a 1978 Renault R17 Gordini. I am trying to track down a thermo switch (vacuum.) The nipples broke off ours. It's stamped Calorstat. I am trying to track down the part and the part number. Everything I am seeing is electric.IMG_9793.jpeg

Hi there Lee, saw your post on here.. What is this thermo switch for ? radiator fan -or what?
-if you direct me in the right direction I'll have a look in my PR 900 parts book as this covers
R17 up till -78 -Reid

Thank you! I think it is a ported vacuum switch for the EGR? It screws into the engine, I think to switch the fuel mixture on cold start maybe. A Renault club member in the states thought it could be part number: 7700587167. But I cannot find anything corresponding to that. I have ordered some different parts off of eBay that look similar but so far no luck. It's stamped calorstat. it appears to have 2 ports for the vacuum hoses.

You've got Pm.

PS-If anyone on here could assist Lee-do step forward as I can't seem to find this part.
Could it be the stated pt.number is wrong?

hasn't Brian Whiteside of the Renault Classic Car Club got an R17 that he refettled. He may know.

Last edited:
Hi Lee

I'm happy to do some research on your behalf. If the switch is by Calorstat, I'm hoping there is some info stamped on the side of the switch which could give me some leads. Eg a Calorstat reference number which might include two letters followed by some numbers such as TS1351 (example), a temperature eg 82°, a thread size eg. M22 x 1. 5.

Best Wishes for the New Year.

Hi Lee

I'm happy to do some research on your behalf. If the switch is by Calorstat, I'm hoping there is some info stamped on the side of the switch which could give me some leads. Eg a Calorstat reference number which might include two letters followed by some numbers such as TS1351 (example), a temperature eg 82°, a thread size eg. M22 x 1. 5.

Best Wishes for the New Year.
Thank you!! I got the part under better light and can make out V6559. I'll get the thread size too

Thank you. I am guessing that this is a 2 port switch. I have ordered a couple of AC Delco that look similar in pictures. I'll let you know when they come in. This one appears to be metal nipples where as the ones I see over here all seem to be plastic. I wonder if this was something special for the American market on these cars. In the late 70's all sorts of modifications seem to have been made to meet the emissions and mileage goals.

Hi Lee

I have looked through my 1970s parts catalogues and so far I have drawn a blank on this switch. If your R17 is a US model, this could be the very reason why I cannot locate your type of switch on this side of the pond. You might be right in thinking it was an extra added due to tighter US emissions controls. The number stamped on your switch might very well be a good Calorstat number (Vernet is the manufacturer of Calorstat) . They are usually four digit numbers preceded by two letters such as 'TS' which would stand for 'temperature switch' for example. A single letter such as your 'V' I have not seen before but it could well stand for 'vacuum'. I have one more lead to hear back from. I will let you know if I have any luck.

Back