Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4/5 Gordini conversion

I think it will fit the block but the cam is different as is the rocker assembly so it is safer to find a complete engine
allan

have got a 1300 r5 engine and high ratio 5sp box sitting in my lockup unused for 10 +yrs going on ebay soon if i can clear enough space to get a photo
gordini engines are too much work ask Malcolm :)

Gordini engines are certainly too much work to fit. On RHD cars the steering column needs to be moved to clear the inlet manifold. A load of bodywork hacking about, and the original steering column joints aren't really designed for the increased angles so ideally the column would need redesigning. Becomes a big job.

For an everyday car I'd go for a 1300 or 1400 engine with the carb on the correct side which will virtually drop straight in. Let me know when your bits come up Paul - might have a punt on the engine myself.

For the Gordini engines themselves the pushrods, cam, cam followers, rocker gear, timing chain are different from the other engines. Only the timing chain seems to be available new, so the head by itself would be useless unless you bought my spare block (at vast expense) and put another £1500 into building. Which would be daft.

Damn. Done it again - loose lips sink skips and all that. :D

Exhaust should fit straight on to the R5 engines, but all of the R4s have restrictive exhausts. R5 exhausts won't fit. A better (custom) exhaust is the only big thing I can think of for fitting the R5 engines. Do take that into consideration when you bid. :hug:

Put a 1000 euro order through to mecaparts the other day (includes a clutch fair enough). £850 in real money and the head rebuild came to £300 plus the previous £100 in gaskets. DIY full rebuild without doing it twice and ignoring ancillaries should be about £1000.

Send the bugger away to get rebuilt is my thought - engine rebuilders seem to have enough discount on parts to cover the cost of their work.

5g engines are best saved for R8s and A110 they are more suited to competition use and standard are still too quick for an R4 really
mind you i only fitted my 16TX engine because someone bet me it wouldnt fit

back on topic was going to use the 1300 setup for one of the rodeos in the barn but mr G may want to sell them too

have also got a 1300 5ts engine i built for my race car supposed to go in the hudson free spirit 3 wheeler kit which i may sell too
will post pics when i get access

have got a 1300 r5 engine and high ratio 5sp box sitting in my lockup unused for 10 +yrs going on ebay soon if i can clear enough space to get a photo
gordini engines are too much work ask Malcolm :)

One more Malcolm over here :D I have had my Alpine engine removed twice, first time due to crankshaft bearing failure and the second time due to bearing failure and the crankshaft itself. The problem is probably not enough lubrication due to bad oil pump. And last but not least I have probably the same problem with the linear seals like Malcolm since I have mayonnaise like sludge on the rocker cover. Spent way too much money and I still don't have a reliable everyday car.

Because of all that I've just bought a Megane dci but the 4's are staying with me.

Back