Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 "Bigfoot"!!!

ha ha, thats quite funny mate!the grafix on the doors is what sets the car off i think!

It's true then that Liam has had to start searching further afield for his donor cars
(if it's got a tow bar Liam let me know!! )

Bloody cheek ! for that remark the towbar will be 20% extra .Still have yet to come across one and donor cars are getting a bit thin on the ground.

Questions ?
Where in the world is the most R4 that are being used on a daily basis and how many R4s are registered with the DVLA in this country ? 100 would be my estimate.

Surely more than 100. We've got more than 100 UK owners registered on the forum. My guess would be 500 to 1000 in the UK as I'm sure most owners don't bother to post here. For the most daily users - my guess would be the places where they sold them past 1990 - Croatia or Portugal. Maybe Columbia?

I'm also guessing that's not you in the photo? :D

Wow never realised there was that many in the U.K !

I have been told that Morrocco has its fair share .I did see quite a few in Croatia tw years ago.

So is it not known where the photo was taken ? i will start the ballrolling with the Gambia.Any more guesses ! ?

I've received the information about the "big foot" and boat towing R4'S:

"This photo was a friend of mine, that live in Portuguese Guinea, that send it to me.
I don´t have any idea, were it was taken, probably in the Guinea Bissau, but???
The Renault 4 taking the boat out of the water is my Big Machine, she has to do that a few times per year, and that one is in Ílhavo in the north of Portugal.
Best regards
carlos Oliveira"

Reply to Liam's question. Region Sava, Madagascar. Around 400 R4s on 5 sq.kilometers! It sounds like heaven to us...

You would think that there should be millions of R4s still clogging up the roads in France, but they are getting so rare over here I get quite excited when I see one drive past. Ten or fifteen years ago if felt as though at least half the cars on French roads were R4s.

The Volvos on that website don't seem that expensive, although I imagine it would cost a fortune in fuel to drive one from Sweden back to France. I love the registration number of the one in the photo - sums the car up perfectly!

What is a snökedjor? I noticed a few of them had one, and it sounds like something essential for surviving the arctic winter, or maybe something to do with snakes! Forget those stickers you get on the back windows of modern Volvo estates ('Fitted with SIPS side impact protection system', etc.), a sticker on the back window saying 'Volvo 4x4 with snökedjor system' would have people scratching their heads as they sat behind you in traffic jams! I'll be really disappointed if it turns out to be something mundane...

volvo_776.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
La Poste said:
What is a snökedjor? I noticed a few of them had one, and it sounds like something essential for surviving the arctic winter, or maybe something to do with snakes!
LOL!

Snö = snow
Kedjor = chains

I saw one today, apparently they are still in use in the swedish army. It is a popular car for playing in the mud, along with modified willys, hummers, etc. I don't know about it's performance on the street, it is probably about what you would expect from a military vehicle from the 60's.

Edit: Found some more info on 4x4 volvo's, and this time in english:
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/retro/volvo-sugga-vs-x90-029586.php
Click on C303 for info on the puppy.

Back