Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 drag racing challenge

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Sunday 4th September 2005 at Santa Pod.

Would anyone be interested in meeting up at Santa Pod for a Renault 4 drag racing challenge? We had great fun drag racing my completely standard yellow R4 last year.

It would be hillarious fun to have two Renault 4s lining up against each other. If we had more than two we could do some championship race-offs.

Who knows, we could even challenge the 2CV club to a race. :lol:

Racing at Santa Pod is really easy - all you need to do is turn up with a driving licence and long sleeved shirt. Cost for the day would be around £25 per person.

If anyone is interested I'll start organising.

:clementi:

Sounds like a lot of fun! A new class of funny cars :) Too bad i'm a miserable sweede with too little money and time for such fun trips. I hope you pull it through and find some worthy competition!

Travel from Sweden could add a little to the £25 budget. That's a reasonable excuse.

I had a blindingly brilliant idea the other day of setting up "The Slow Car Club". I've been to various marque specific club meetings and found the people there rather dull. A slow car club dedicated to doing silly things (such as racing slow cars at Santa Pod) would surely attract a fun croud of people.

:D A very fine idea! If the membership fee is reasonable, and if i get a sticker (or if they're made available), i will join. Fun name, hope it is not taken.

Edit: Maybe you should start a new thread for this?

Let's see how this years drag racing goes. If it's a big success then I have you marked down for the head of the Swedish Chapter.

I got excited enough to pick up an interweb domain name. www.slowcarclub.com is waiting in the sidelines :D Membership of course would be free.

Sounds like fun! Too bad we're that far apart. This weekend I intend to go to watch the "Copa Doria" race (that is if I can get my "honey-do's" finished in time). Two R4s are still active in the 1000-1300cc category. Hope to be able to bring you some footage.

i am up for it , that is if they accept women drivers ( and i m back from summer holidays). just looked at the santa pod website 'rwyb'. not sure if dolores can achieve a burnout?????

Excellent. :D

Assuming we can agree on a date that makes 3 Renault 4s so far (Robert is coming along too). I'll have a look at the dates and suggest some.

I've had a look at the Santa Pod website. These are the possible dates:

Sun 17 July
Sun 14 August
Sun 21 August
Sun 4 September
You can phone a friend or ask the audience.

When is your holiday Lucie? Do you have any preferences?
Earlier in the year tends to be better (we can't race when the track is wet).

Prizes will be awarded for style rather than speed. I need to work out the criteria, but a burn out in a low powered car would probably be very stylish. As would running fully laiden with a roofrack.

EDIT> We can have some fun with this. Lets fix a date. Then I can do the press release. :lol:

ok. i am getting a bit scared now,(what if i stall??) but i won't chicken out yet.
i could do 17 july or sept 4 th.....

Don't worry about stalling - you get plenty of runs. If you manage to stall every time then you'll probably have enough style points to be the outright winner.

I think we should aim for September 4th. That will give me some time to get into some club magazines and do a press release. I think this slow car club thing could be a lot of fun.

sept 4th sounds good- gives me enough time to practise.!!!! i have a friend who's got a R4 too, so might try and get him interested.

I love the Slow Car Club idea!! :cool: A club sticker with a tortoise or snail motif would look cool on the back of an R4.

I used to know someone who was a member (allegedly) of something along similar lines - the Bad Car Club. Anyone could join, as long as they had a bad car (although he had an MG Midget, which I wouldn't really have called a bad car). Apparently, upon joining members got a particularly bad quality radiator badge - guaranteed to go rusty overnight -which they could fit to their car.

I'd be up for the drag racing too, but I'm allergic to England. Pity...

The picture below took all of three and a half minutes of mouse dragging in Paint, but with a little refinement it could become this summer's must-have fashion accessory on bootlids across the globe....

slow_car_club_183.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the sticker idea. I'll look into how to get some printed.

The Slow Car Event on 4th September is moving on - we now have a judge to award points for style. I've phoned up Santa Pod and they say we can brung as many people as we like.

I like the sticker- but I reckon you need a motto- how about "glacier racers"- or perhaps "continental drifters" :wink:

I may be up for it as long as I'm here although it is a long trip! Haven't painted the blue one yet, might leave it as it is, might get a prize for the worst turned out! Pity I couldn't get the purple one there, stands out like a sore thumb; it'd take the judges eyes off the others!!!!

You should come along Mike. No prizes for clean, well turned out cars, but we were planning to award style points for purple cars.

It's coming together. So far we have 3 or 4 Renault 4s, one or two smoky Land Rovers, and a Suzuki Carry 1.3 van. I'm going to see if we can't organise a couple of Austin 7s and the odd 2CV as well.

Back