Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 drum brakes.

edwin

Enthusiast
I have drums front and back and am trying to get refurb kits with all the bits for each wheel. How do I know which type of drum I have, one is Bendix and there is another. If I take the wheel off, is there a name visible or a tell tale sign that will enable me to then order the right kit . The car is a 1972 1126 4L. Thank you.

1972 cars have only one type of brake system - Bendix.
Front drums are fairly straightforward, you get shoes for 200mm diameter drums and wheel cylinders are always 23,8mm inner diameter. There were three lengths of wheel cylinder but they all fit so don't be surprised if the new wheel cylinder is longer than your old one.
Rear brakes are equally easy, drum diameter is always 160mm and there was only one shoe kit that will fit. Wheel cylinders that will fit on the backplate came in three different diameters; 19mm should be right for your car.

Angel, you live up to your name. Thanks for that succinct response. I can move forward with confidence as they say.
One question. Do you know anywhere in the UK to get this sort of stuff? thanks again

Back