Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 F4 Front member

The_Blacksmith

Enthusiast
Can anyone draw me a cross section view of the left or right front member? I have a little rust giving me a lot of grief and I'd like to get a good look at things so I know what to repair. Normally Renault would replace the whole thing but for me that's not an option as I don't have a new member on stock in my spares department.

Do you mean the front frame cross member? I have a new one in my garage, so I can take the measurements and draw it for you. Where should I make the cross section?

I suppose the left box section would be a better description for it. I have a case of rust near the left engine mount approximately where the brake lines pass through the inner wing. I'd like to know what kind of re-enforcements are put into the thing. Oh, it's a lefthand drive car in case you're wondering.

I have a left hand drive car too. The cross view should be through the inner wing near to the engine mount, or through the chassis near to the engine mount?

For the engine mount rust there is a double skin on the outside face and U shaped brackets holding crush tubes for the bolts. The attached photo is the best I have.

If it's just the outer face that is rusty (normal) then you can cut the outer face away, clean out the rust on the reinforcement, then weld a new section on the outer face. See http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=6

• eng-mt-stiffener.jpg
    eng-mt-stiffener.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 126
Back