Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 F6 Rear Bumper Mounts 1985

Pete Isom

Enthusiast
Hey Guys, Can anyone show me how the OE bumper fits, ive offered it up and can see some holes that line up but in my mind they are not load bearing on any level

Bolts up with 3x11mm bolts each side to chassis extensions/body through bumper bracket, then the one bolt each side to bumper irons, my bumpers removed in photos, but here's where it bolts up to, 3DF84FF5-9DBC-4DE9-8C14-350EE174AB9A.jpegF839070D-DC4A-4035-8AC3-26E2A28B11E2.jpeg

Thanks
in red are the bolt holes?
i feel like im missing the other part though
1662627752151.png

my side body is also no bolted on but i think i have the mounts in a box

Yes, highlighted in red are captive nuts into rear panel (one missing in photo) bolted through chassis extension, further bolt into chassis extension itself, this fits via two bolts through extensions /chassis itself, rearmost in photo, the extensions are needed to give rigidity/support to bumper

I have an F6, and I have no idea what that part is... I have box section right across the back,
with the tyre cage clip, and it has three threaded inserts each side for the bumper.
The chassis is not involved at all...

ive gone through my restoration photos and cant see them nor the side supports, guess i need to buy them too

The bumper brackets to chassis are needed, they basically tie the chassis to the rear panel giving the support to said panel due to the F6 being longer tha standard 4, together wiith bumper bolted through these, without these the rear panel can flex more it any weight is put on internal cill when loading stuff into rear, together with the integral strength of the bumper itself giving more rigidity to rear door loading sill when loading loading stuff.

Oh...nothing remotely like that on mine.
I did wonder when removing the bumper how an impact wouldn't just crumple the rear floor immediately.
Are there any photos of the bits needed around?
I could make brackets if I knew what they look like...

Yep,11mm/12mm sockets and spanners are no longer redundant tools with a 4, but 11mm nuts and bolts not usually the ones first to hand in the spare nuts and bolt tin

Back