Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 fuel filter ticking issue?

Thanks Andrew. I took it to a local guy 1/2 mail away to look at as after tinkering, I realised i don't have the tools or space in my garage (which doesn't have electricity and is in an unattached garage block). He opened up the distributor cap and saw lots of filings and showed me that the distributor centre wobbles in an elliptical motion (see attached) and recommended a new one. I've read there are different distributors. Would anyone know where i can find one and which type. I have
a 1989 GTL 1108, Engine Number: 688 D7/12 C213003 and VIN: VF11128xxxxx43420. Unfortunately i can't get at the car but think its a Ducellier.
Would this be an appropriate distributor? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133014937230.
I'm up against a time pressure as the mechanic will only hold the car for a few days and Im a little concerned about towing it back to my garage; I bent the side protection / goat horn bumper bits this morning when towed it the 1/2 mile this morning. Does anyone know how to safely tow a Renault 4 without damaging the track rods or bumpers?
Any help would be greatly received..

Distributor.jpg

Someone might be able to identify your distributor from the above. But the type should be stamped on to the side of it.

The problem's been caused by a lack of lubrication of the distributor spline over a long time, but that's a meaningless piece of information to you now..... I'm afraid I can't advise which distributor type you need to fit either!
As for towing the car, a rope around the front cross-member, which is the large strut the radiator sits on, should be a strong enough point from which to pull it. DON'T tie anything to the steering track rods, as bending them will prove expensive, complicated and difficult to put right! i know, I've had to repair cars that have been towed in that manner!

I have a Subaru Forester 4x4, fitted with amber LED lights on the roof, and I've an "A" frame & trailer lights. I'm happy to drive over from Barnet to Slough & pull your Renault 4 from the garage to your home, but I couldn't do it until Friday next week. P.M. me if I can help. Beer & pork pie money would do it!

The 2 little fingers on the base of the distributer shaft, fit into a slot on a gear that drives the shaft.

The slot is not centred on the top of the gear. I can't quite remember if its at all possible to incorrectly fit the fingers into the slot. If it was possible, that would cause the distributer shaft to rotate elliptically.

Its fairly straightforward to remove the distributer to check and as you're going to replace it, you have nothing to lose.

If you can get the number from the side of the distributer, you might want to have a look at this site and get a used one.
https://www.palace-de-lancienne.com/allumage/

Thanks all for your advice. I managed to track one down this weekend with the help of a few Renault 4 gurus. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Thanks Andrew fur your towing offer. Fingers crossed that my issue will be resolved. I’ll post later in the week when I have further updates! Thanks again

Many thanks to all who provided comments and to Andrew for the offer of a tow and his detailed expertise. I was passed on details of Paul Cunningham from Worthing - After a 5 mins chat and some sound advice. Paul tee’d me up with a one of his contacts (Mr Lewis- who was also really helpful and accommodating) and within 24 hours and on a Sunday morning I had a used distributer in my hands. Very helpful given my time pressure. It also turns out my ignition coil wasn’t functioning particularly well. I’m not sure of name dropping etiquette but knowing who to speak to in different areas of the uk can help circumnavigate a lot of tail chasing. Thanks for everyone’s help...the car is working... I’ll post a picture when I take it out next.

I was passed on details of Paul Cunningham from Worthing - After a 5 mins chat and some sound advice. Paul tee’d me up with a one of his contacts (Mr Lewis- who was also really helpful and accommodating) and within 24 hours and on a Sunday morning I had a used distributer in my hands. Very helpful given my time pressure. It also turns out my ignition coil wasn’t functioning particularly well. I’m not sure of name dropping etiquette but knowing who to speak to in different areas of the uk can help circumnavigate a lot of tail chasing. Thanks for everyone’s help...the car is working... I’ll post a picture when I take it out next.
Ooh I like to be helpful
Andrew Lewis is on here too
But forums don't work like social media and tagging people normally alerts people when mentioned
I've been on here since b4 face book existed when usernames not real names where the order of the day
Good luck and well done to the community we have here too

Back