Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 gtl 1400ccm

688D7/12

Enthusiast
I want to present a my unfinished project. Another red R4 gtl but with 1400cc engine. I always wanted to have a R4 with a little more power. Holes on the floors are welded, car is painted, engine is completed. I need to replace master brake cylinder, and put together interior, taillights and few more minor things. I hope so to drive this car in the summer! I can't wait!

From whitch car is engine?

Was straight forward bolt on switch or you needed to make some modifications.

It´s a R4 engine with some modifications :).
Liners, pistons and crankshaft and crankshaft bearings are from Renault 5 1400cc engine. The engine block is machined so that 1.4 engine liners can be fitted. Here is very difficult to find first generation Renault 5 and that is only engine which is "plug and play". So I decide to do this experiment. We will see results :)

It´s a R4 engine with some modifications :).
Liners, pistons and crankshaft and crankshaft bearings are from Renault 5 1400cc engine. The engine block is machined so that 1.4 engine liners can be fitted. Here is very difficult to find first generation Renault 5 and that is only engine which is "plug and play". So I decide to do this experiment. We will see results :)
Is the 1400cc crankshaft different from the 1108cc? It would be good to see photos of the modifications. It is difficult to find R5 Mk1 engines over here too.

Great!
So you bored standard R4 1108 block to 1400.
Are sides of block strong enoght now?
As Malcolm say. It would be great to see comparisment pictures of bouth cranckshafts, block with new bores.

Is the 1400cc crankshaft different from the 1108cc? It would be good to see photos of the modifications. It is difficult to find R5 Mk1 engines over here too.
Crankshaft has the same bearing dimensions, the stroke is 77mm (instead 72mm on 1108cc engine). Unfortunately I do not have a pictures of the disassembled engine.

Great!
So you bored standard R4 1108 block to 1400.
Are sides of block strong enoght now?
As Malcolm say. It would be great to see comparisment pictures of bouth cranckshafts, block with new bores.
We will see. Outside measures of both blocks are same, inside looking OK. Unfortunately I do not have a pictures.

Do you have engine code from that 1400 engine that you are using parts?

Is that engine from Renault Super5?

C1J/C2J engine maybe?

What machining did you need to do on the block? I like the idea of 1400cc liners with the shorter throw R4 crank. I guess that's what the 1300cc engines were.

Apart from the cylinder liner seats are the blocks much the same? I imagine the 1.4 liners are wider. Were the water jackets in the 1.4 block wider than the 1.1? It's really interesting to know about the possibility of putting 1.4 liners in.

What machining did you need to do on the block? I like the idea of 1400cc liners with the shorter throw R4 crank. I guess that's what the 1300cc engines were.

Apart from the cylinder liner seats are the blocks much the same? I imagine the 1.4 liners are wider. Were the water jackets in the 1.4 block wider than the 1.1? It's really interesting to know about the possibility of putting 1.4 liners in.
Block seems to be same. Attached you can find liners dimensions. When I will make the first drive and testing I will share information and impressions here.

• Renault liners.pdf
    254.2 KB · Views: 23
Back