Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 GTL Drum Brakes

robg

Enthusiast
The Haynes Manuel suggests that there should be brake adjusters on the back of the drums but on inspection there are none.
Question Do I assume they are automatically adjusted? If so then I think I need to do some work.
thanks

Hello Rob, on my GTL 1980, the front drums have brake shoe adjusters, but the back drums have self adjusters.
The front adjusters are very visible, they are 4 sided so you ideally need a special tool. Some people, myself included , have made their own or use an adjusting wrench, but when using the latter, there is the danger of rounding off the edges of the head.

Chances are that front brakes, too have auto adjusters. The best addition to this system is a 6mm hole on the face of the drum, in order to operate the adjusters manually with the drum on. They are supposed to be there, but on many instances drums have been replaced with earlier or non genuine types without this hole.
If you remove the drum and take a look at how this sysem works you will figure out where should this hole be drilled. After that, you will be able to both move the rachet lever to adjust the brakes manually, and release its pawl in order to free the drum, by using a flat screwdriver through the hole.

Thanks for the replies - I am not alone
Angel - I have seen a small hole through the drum on the wheel side ie the front and wondered what it is for.
If I understand you correctly using a small screwdriver through the hole I can both tighten and loosen the brakes?

Exactly - officially this hole is for releasing the auto adjuster ratchet pawl, in order to be able to remove the drum easily.
But, I have found that slightly worn drums can "cheat" the auto adjusters and make them stay 1-2 clicks loose. You can set this by feeling for the ratchet lever with a screwdriver through this hole, then pushing it towards the outside of the drum.

Well, having finally persuaded the drums to come away from the hubs what do I find but Bendix stamped on the brake linings. unfortunately I also found that moving the rubber caps on one brake cylinder resulted in a loss of brake fluid. I am therefore concluding that I need to refurbish/replace the front brakes. Could this be an opportunity to consider swapping the front drums for discs? I would be pleased to hear any info on sources for either option although I appreciate that there are currently considerably more important things to think about.IMG_0114.jpegIMG_0113.jpeg

Consider that you will need the complete front stub axle assemblies, along with calipers and discs, as well as rear drum backplates with shoes, handbrake cables and lever, It's up to you...

......Although the linings themselves look in pretty good shape, with plenty of wear left in them!

These brake liners look fine and you have the auto adjusters on them. Like angel says, you need to change the full brake assembly at the front and move the handbrake to the back. So if you just change the brake cilinders you are fine.

Back