Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 GTL Wanted

JavierG

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

I'm really enjoying reading through the forums and all the useful information on this site.

I'm looking for an R4 in reasonable condition. I'm looking to spend £1,500 to £3,000 (depending on condition).

I live in a flat in central London and don't have a garage, so I would not be able to do any serious work on it, but can do general tidying up.

Also, as it would be parked on the street from day 1, I would need it to already be UK registered and MOT'd.

Looking for an example in good running order with no rust/rot.

I have contacted a couple of people on this site to see if their cars are still available, but wanted to see if anyone else is thinking of selling theirs.

Thanks!

Hi Lobster

Very good point. I have checked a few Renault 4 number plates on the government website vehicle checker and some say that they are subject to the charge and others say that they are not.

Seems a little confusing. I can only assume that R4s registered after 2015 may be OK. However, I would definitely have to check the car's number plate before buying.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I don't have a car at the moment and had stupidly not considered this!

Does anybody have concrete knowledge on this?

Very informative. Thanks again Lobster.

I'm a bit confused, as the TFL website says the ULEZ zone starts in April 2019 - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

Looks like a way to get around this may be to get a pre-1979 or 1981 model, as that would be classed as Historic by 2019 or 2021, depending on when they actually implement it.

The search continues!

I would never deliberately rain on anyone's parade, but there's a mountain between you and your dream of Renault 4 ownership in Londonshire. I believe I speak for everyone on the forum and wish you good luck with your search!

N.

In London, at least, owners of historic cars will be exempted from the ULEZ, largely thanks to lobbying by the Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs. “We have a strong argument that older, collector cars produce a tiny volume of pollutants and TfL has accepted that argument,” says FBHVC spokesman Geoff Lancaster.

Historic cars are defined as 40 years old by the government, so by 2021, cars dating from 1981 will be exempt. And because the cut-off advances yearly, mid-80s cars will assume exemption by 2025, but that may be too late for many owners of ‘young classics’.

If I understand correctly, then won't classic historical cars become more sought after? Thus pushing up prices?

Good luck in your search, Javier:)

Hey mojobaby

Yes, that's how I understand it too. Although I think historic cars are still subject to Congestion charge.

However, yesterday I fell in love with a non-'Historic' Renault 4 and I couldn't resist. It's heading my way next week and I couldn't be more excited.

Will have to figure out ULEZ when the time comes, or simply move out of Londonshire.

Hey mojobaby

Yes, that's how I understand it too. Although I think historic cars are still subject to Congestion charge.

However, yesterday I fell in love with a non-'Historic' Renault 4 and I couldn't resist. It's heading my way next week and I couldn't be more excited.

Will have to figure out ULEZ when the time comes, or simply move out of Londonshire.

Well done Javier.
Don't forget, we love photos on here ....
N.

Back