Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 in Tahiti

Murray

Hello everyone. Made a leap today and bought my first R4 here in Tahiti, French Polynesia. I am a marine biologist here, and figured that the R4 was a great island car. It is a 1970. I had a couple of quick questions that I'm sure y'all will find trivial, but any imput is much appreciated.

Seeing as Tahiti is very very far from Europe, I was wondering if anyone knows a good online parts source for the standard stuff (brakes, suspension components, etc...). eBay seems to be pretty hot, true? Also is there a performance parts company, the equivalent of ipd for Volvo?

I really dig the R4, thinking of running it with no doors, but the rear hatchback (5th door) has some serious hinge rust, anyone dealt with rust in that area? I was hoping to hop online and order a replacement hinge, but its not so easy, is it?

Anyway, thanks for all the great info in this forum, I'll post some pics when I get them sorted out.
Cheers to all
Mike Murray

I recall seeing Marine Biologist jobs advertised in New Scientist. Thought at the time it was a shame I'm not a marine biologist.

It should be possible to order parts by mail order. eBay is great, but parts don't always come up when you need them. In the UK you could try getting in touch with Whitehouse Renault in Tumbridge Wells. They'll send stuff abroad, and Renault still support the cars well.

There's no real aftermaraket performance company for Renault 4s. Guess people who want performance don't buy the 4 in the first place. A lot of preformance Renault 5 parts fit - the pre-83 Renault 5 was very similar to the Renault 4, but less de-tuned.

The tailgate hinges can come adrift from the body through rust. They can be welded back on - just needs a welder.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to pics of a Renault 4 in an exotic location.

..and we live in...

Leeds, Bedford and even London etc and young Mike is in Tahiti.. well I am up for a R4 run round the island at any time!!

Now Mike, what you wont know was that Gauguin always drove a Renault 4 and even did this lovely picture of it - I believe its at the Gauguin Museum.

Have a nice breadfruity day

• r4 green 1111 gaugin.jpg
    r4 green 1111 gaugin.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 111
Back