Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 radiator fan

billythefish

Enthusiast
I am looking to buy a fan for my R4 radiator because it does not have one and the weather being a bit hot at the moment I am a little bit worried it might over heat, its a 1971 and which didn't come with a fan, perhaps it would be a better idea to change the radiator for a bigger one with a fan already attached any ideas on which one will be suitable.

Is it the original 850cc engine with the radiator mounted on the steering rack? Those had an engine driven fan which is very effective. Can post one up if you like.

radiator fan

Sorry Malcolm
My head is in a spin today after putting the wrong fuel in my sons car, what I meant to say was I did not think the radiator and fan that is on my R4 was adequate for the car in this weather, hence would it be better to put a larger radiator with an electric fan on instead, if so which one.

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 146
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 146
Radiator does look a bit knackered in one corner, but most of it is still there. Is it causing problems?

I don't think I have ever had to replace an early radiator. I've blown the flies out with an air line but that's about it. They can be reconditioned for under £100 and if there is a worry I'd go that route rather than modifying the car as the cooling system on the early cars does normally work very well.

It doesn't really overheat in fact my sons Seicento actually did overheat but I stopped it in time before any damage was done, I suppose I am being over cautious simply because I like the car so much.
When I am about it how big a job is it to replace the back bushes on the rear suspension arms.
thanks
billy

Fair old pain the outer rear suspension mounts. You would need to remove the rear suspension from the car in one unit, buy the mounts from somewhere like Der Franzose at 40 euros a throw, grind the old ones off and make sure the new ones go on in exactly the right place. 1mm in or out, or slightly the wrong angle causes hassle.

If it's just the edge of the bush seeping out I normally trim it. When I've cut them off I've found the the rest of the bush is normally in good condition unless the mounting has rusted out.

Provided the rest of the cooling system is in good condition, what you can do on your existing system is to have the radiator converted to 3-core unit, and fit the 6-blade plastic fan from the later models (this is supposed to move more air). But it is more than enough, though. I have the same setup as yours on my '71 and I never had any problems in our hot summer, even when in traffic.

Thanks guys, ( Malcolm & Angel)
Malcolm the bushes are not seeping out and I did trim the edges of them so thanks for that another problem solved, I think I will stick with the radiator that is on and have it re cored locally, perhaps I'm just a born worrier.
billy

Billy
I used Boston Radiators to rebuild my rads the last one they did for me was on
a MG Midget i rebuilt,cost me about £75.00

Simon

Back