Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Soft Top

Melc

Enthusiast
Hello all, Iam just starting an R4 restoration and have a ratty top that needs replacing. Does anybody know how they are supposed to work? It has a pair of frames that fold to the centre and a couple of mid supports that clip to the vinyl, but these arent fixed. Do they slide or something. Looking forward to finding out.

Melc

No they don't slide...it's just what you see. Both frames arch towards the centre and you fold the roof there. The cross-bars are there to hold the canvas taut when closed.

Those pesky mid rails

Thanks Angel,
Those mid rails dont slide then? Are they fixed with rivets or something? The reason I thought that they slid was that mine at present have little button studs that clip to the quarter folds, and have a foot that curls around the opening rim and a rubber"bumper" on the inside. The whole thing is not fastened.

Do any of us have a photo of a good finished one, maybe from a brochure? It would certainly help my auto trimmer.
Thanks again,
Melc

Yes they are rivetted on the roof canvas.
Those rubbers you mention are to locate the mid rails on the roof frame positively so that the soft top is more steady. As you will notice there are some plastic fittings on the car body at the same place where the mid rails will end up when the roof is closed.

I had posted a photo of my folded Jogging roof somewhere here.

Back