Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Super - paint colour

geoff

Enthusiast
my 1963 R4L Super is in the common light blue colour (code AC 626 AS)
but my paint supplier tells me this referes to three different shades of blue all called by diferent names. Please can someone tell me wat the most common name was for this car.
Thanks
Geoff

R4 Super paint colour

You've probably found the answer to this by now but my 1963 R4 pale blue was known as Bleu Isle de France and as far as I know, that was the most common colour.

Incidentally, has your R4 got the tubular chrome bumpers, wind down rear window etc?

4L Super paint

Thanks for your reply. Yes my car has all the usual "SUPER" atributes.
Do you have a Super too? - we should compare notes !
Geoff

paint colour

Oh you lucky, lucky thing. My "Super" was my first R4 (had four others since but not Supers). When it died I dismantled it and sold the spares. I bought a blue one with no canvas roof so I cut a hole in the roof with tin snips,cut the canvas roof out of the Super including the upstand and a bit more, pushed it up from underneath with a sandwich of mastic and pop rivetted the thing all round. It wasn't the prettiest but it worked really well and never leaked! I was a young women then but now I'm an old one I don't think I'd have the courage to start - and my husband would have a seizure I should think, indulgent as he is. Oh a Super, oo I do envy you.

hi
i agree Redrenault: the light blue is called 'Bleu Ile de France' also numbering 412

R4 Super

thank you Boerametje for your reply. I now need to find somewhere to get an aerosol paint can for that colour. My usual supplier cannot match that colour code. Your car looks great - and a fine website too.
Perhaps you can answer a couple of questions for me:
1) I need to replace the rubber seal around the fresh air flap. Where can I get a replacement rubber?
2) the drop down tailgate is clearly not designed to rest horizontal. This is most inconvenient - and the brochure you show clearly indicates that it is horizontal. Do you think there was a late design change by Renault ?
I love my Super - but you must agree that it is no was as practical as a lifting tailgate?
Best regards
Geoff

Replacement rubber for that flap I have never found, but in fact the flap is better conserved without a rubber in it. Later ones lacked the rubber as well.

The horizontal tail gate is only shown in the brochures and instruction manuals, in practise it tends to hang more downwards, making the car quite useless. I have always considered it a very ugly version in fact...

R4 Super paint match

ok so far I have 5 cans of aerosol - all different - all wrong. HELP !
I have the following code on the car body = 618.51
The paint I have is as follows :
618.51 Templier Storico
618 Acier C2-29
618.51 Templier Grey
412 Isle De France
Every one has been put together by various paint uppliers who recon they have the solution. But no. All are wrong.
Can anyone help please. The car - being a 4L SUPER must be diffrent from other 4L's I guess ? Has anyone out there got a SUPER in the usual grey/blue colour - I guess that all the SUPER models in that colour were the correct shade ?
Regards
Geoff

Maybe it is 618.S1 not 51. S1 means synthetic, manufacturer Renault (if I remember correctly). Anyway it has nothing to do with the color shade, this is the 618. If you go to a paint shop and search the catalog of the Renault colors, you will find the right color.

Back