Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Super

geoff

Enthusiast
Anyone got a SUPER ?
I have one and would like to share comments.
Regards
Geoff

Hi and thanks for replying.
Where do you live? - I am in france (department 11)
My super is generally very good - problems with the plastic dashboard though and the plastic trim at the bottom of the rear window is cracked.
Main problem is the upholstery - front seats sagging.
(I also have a ACL Rodeo.)
How is your Super ?
Regards
Geoff

Hello Geoff,

I live in the Netherlands and I restored my Super in '98. It's in fact still in perfect condition. The plastic part is always a problem, especially for the R1122's, which have one that fits the seat-colour. The R1124's all have black ones. What's the problem with the dashboard? The outer openings have broken off, I guess?

Regards,

Bram

Last edited:
very nice site Bram - but I cannot seem to navigate around it - only watch the pictures moving themselves. The car looks lovely.
A couple of questions though : the brochure picture you show the drop down door HORIZONTAL (this would be good) but it is not so. The door falls to a sloping position (as shown in the Renault brochures of the time). Can you explain this ?
Also, my car has a blue lens for the "high beam" headlight warning but it is not fitted with any bulb or wiring - I guess this was for certain markets ?
My car is a 1963, 6V, 1124 and is the same colour as yours.
I look forward to your comments.
Regards
Geoff

You can click the logo's on the left, and you can adjust the speed of the filmstrip with your mouse, but you can't indeed enlarge them.

The Super reardoor cannot be positioned horizontal, allthough the first flyers show it in that position, with only one bar to support it, by the way. I also have an early pressing of the instruction manual which shows this, calling the car "R4 Combi" instead of Super.

The blue lens is only used in certain countries indeed. I thought scanduinavian cars had it...

hi
sorry for my poor english...

i'm the owner of 2 R4 Super , a 1122 of 1962 and a 1124 of 1963
the both are sky blue...
the 1122 is in restoration ...

Quatre.

aw if you do that it means i wont be able to understand you!!
and being a woman there is one thing we realy hate and thats not being able to join in any gossip that might be going on
so in the intrest and health of the female element of the forum and the pure fact we were born nosey can we keep it in enlish?

thanks for your replys all. Perhaps Daisy is right - you all speak good english so let us keep it like that eh ?
I live in Limoux (Aude, 11) france - a little way from you eh Quatre.
do you have a Super, Daisy ?
OK, now to my problems and hope of assistance from you all .......
1) I am now on my third 6v. Battery and it keeps going flat. Is this normal for 6v. I have no experience of 6 volt until now.
2) I need to replace the rubber seal around the exterior opening fresh air vent flap. Any ideas where I can get one of these rubber seals ?
3) I have some photos but don't think it is possible to send them to this "group"

best wishes
Geoff

no i am afraid i dont have a super:( daisy is a 1984 gtl.
Thanks for keeping it english:)
I have not had much if anything to do with 6v batterys but i imagine they act like any other .Maybe you have got a wire leaking to earth even though you have turned of the engine. it may be worth checking if any of the live wires have been worn and are eathing where the pass through the body shell that would cause a direct earth and drain any battery.
if not, does: the interior lights etc. all go out when you switch off?:)

It is possible to share photos. The page where you write your posts has an additional options section below where you type. There's an add photographs button you can use to find photos on your computer then upload them.

The 6V electrics will be weak. I've never run a Renault 4 with 6V, but did run an MGA with dynamo and regulator. It would discharge it's battery in 400km if I drove with headlamps and windscreen wipers switched on. Without the headlamps the MG was OK. I think the regulator was faulty on the MGA, but I changed to alternator to improve the charging.

hi
no problem with english ..except my bad (very, very bad) knowledge of this language...

and no problem with my 6v battery... follow what Daisy said...

just a little pic of my 63' Super

• 1.00010.jpg
    1.00010.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 146
i think she looks nice,have you got a name for her?
i notice she has no number plate is she on the road yet:)

no special name, just Super or 63...
ans she's on the road: on last wednesday, she had her official technical check validated for the 2 next years

she looks like a real lady and after living so long it would be nice to call her something:) any one got any ideas?

you see the open ventillation flap on Quatre's car - well I need a new rubber seal for my car. Anybody know where I can get one ?
Also, I need to re cover the seats - anybody know if the cover material is available ?
Geoff

Back