Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Super

theres a thought, do you know where to get the silver plastic trim that is round the roof on the gtl:(

Being 10 years "in Business" this month, I felt the need to update my website. The film-strips are clickable now, and new pictures are added. Furthermore pictures of my current Fourgonnette and Parisienne have been added, and there is a new Plein Air section. Enjoy!

(I am not a native English speaker, so if you come across any errors or mistakes in the text, please let me know.)

indicators 6volt

I have problems with the turn indicators on my 6v. Super;
They are very very slow - I have changed the relay a couple of times but no improvement. Has anyone had the same experience?
Regards
Geoff

Do they get any faster with the engine at high revs? That would rule out the battery/charging.

If not, do you have 6V bulbs and a 6V relay? And it could be worth measuring the resistance of the bulb and then whole wiring system through the bulb from the relay to ground to see if you have any bad connections or earths.

yes they do get faster at high revs. Do you think this means tha my charging output is less than it should be ?
Thanks
Geoff

It's a thing with dynamos. They don't charge very well at low revs, only at high revs, so you'll have more volts at high revs. Also they seem to get worse with age but I've never quite figured out why. I've always swapped them for alternators which charge very well at all revs.

Classic cars with dynamos often don't get run very often or for very long, so the battery is never fully charged. Could be worth charging using a battery charger to see if that makes the indicators work better.

Dynamo powered cars will be very sensitive to extra resistance in the circuit (dirty connectors). Maybe pull them apart, clean any corroded looking ones with wire wool, then coating them with petrolium jelly (vasalene) might also make things work better.

Back