Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 tail light issue

tadhg

I have a 1982 Renault 4 TL, that's all ready to pass the Controle Technique, except for one problem: the tail light on the left hand side doesn't work any more.

It lights up when I brake, but when I drive with the lights on, only the right-hand tail light comes on. Obviously the lamp is only supplied by one pair of wires... and when I trace these back they go into a small control box, under the wheel, that appears to be linked on one side to the rear lights and on the other to the fusebox, the brake pedal and the control panel (I guess for the indicators). I can't be 100% sure though, because I left my Haynes in the scrapyard.

Everything seems to be firmly connected, so I'm guessing something in this box controls the illumination of the tail lights, and it has failed. Does this sound like a reasonable hypothesis? Where could I get another box? (I live in France)

The bulb is twin filament, has one of the filaments in the bulb blown?

One is for the brake light and a less powerful one for the rear light all in one bulb, have you tried changing the bulb first?

Oh and knowing most controle technique places I've been too they'll only notify you that it needs sorting not fail you for it.

The bulb is twin filament, has one of the filaments in the bulb blown?

One is for the brake light and a less powerful one for the rear light all in one bulb, have you tried changing the bulb first?

Yes. I switched the bulbs over, made no difference :(

if its just sidelight power and its not getting any, you could always run a lead from the other rear side light over to that one temporarily.

Is the front sidelight on the left working? If not it's a fuse (number 5 from memory). Otherwise check the wire as it comes into the rear light - they can corrode and might need to be removed and cleaned.

I had a similar problem over a year ago on my R4F4, except mine was a RH tail-light failure. I simply ran a wire across from the left hand light to the right hand light, and it has never failed since.

Yeah. I think I found the source of the problem, as well as solving it.

There was a hole in the top of the sealant for the front left stand light. I guess water got in there and blew that whole circuit. I wired one to the other like suggested (using the built in ducting) at the front and the back and voilla, it works.

And I just ordered a new front standlight off Oscaro, so hopefully the problem won't be repeated

Back