Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 what price

billythefish

Enthusiast
I have decided to sell my R4 but don't really know what sort of price to ask for,it has a list of things done to it that is so long it would take forever to write down but the main ones are:
Full professional respray
new headlights
refurbished radiator
5 new tyres ( 1year ago)
The car has the odd small mark here and there and is not perfect it also needs a new front chrome bumper as the one that's on requires chroming or painting
I would prefer to sell to some one in the club rather than on Ebay.

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 353
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 348
Renault4 sale

No Rich I have not decided what the price is, that is why I wanted a general consensus of the members on what would be a fair price, the respray alone cost nearly £1000 the headlights £100, the radiator refurbished £100 and the list goes on and on.
If required I can take more pictures, I did not bother because the response to my enquiry was almost negative apart from yourself.
billy

I think that with some new chrome mirrors and a new bumper and a nice set of chrome hub caps and the wheels painted in cream you could be talking about anything up to £2500.

Remember Stuart's old G reg one just sold on ebay for £2800 although it was completely original.

Michael

p.s I love these old Chrome grill (or as the french would say calender) variants

Thanks Mike,
I have already turned down £2000 from a local guy and just wondered what sort of genuine price to expect, trouble is that I now have four cars and no room in my yard, one of those ( an old Mercedes ) I have had for over three years and keep promising myself to put back on the road but I end up buying another car, so I've decided enough is enough because when you start to get old I'm afraid time flies in.
Just to mention the car has a Renault 4 GTL bonnet on it, sorry for not remembering that.
Another thing I don't like is that on Ebay people bid blindly without first seeing the cars they are bidding on, then when they win it they sometimes change their mind, anyone who comes to view the car can make me an offer or simply walk away if they don't like what they see.

Hi there,I agree with mike4gti,£2500 would be minimum for your car,we all know that 4s are getting rarer and if your car is rust-free it's worth all of that. Don't take a penny less. I do think painting the wheels white or pale cream would make a big difference to the look of the car. And some nice shiny hub-caps. I'm like you, the years are slipping by, and there are never enough hours in the day to fettle lots of cars. Good luck selling your car.

Billy you have put a lot of work into this car, sell one of the others and come to France with us next summer.Gary

You know Billy I reckon ggcton is right, you have a great car, just right for a trip to France next year. You know it makes sense. :-)

This sad billy has never been any further than good old England, I came down here from Scotland when I was fifteen and I loved Lincolnshire so much I stayed.
Besides, I've never had a passport and always have my holidays in England and as you all know even if I lived to be over a hundred, I would still not be able to see all the beautiful sites in the UK, so why go abroad.
PS I will paint the wheels white,thanks guys.

I've decide to put the car to bed for the winter (garage) and think about it again in the spring., if I want to sell it or not.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Ah, a very wise thing to do Billy. These little Renaults are brilliant, and you may find that after all you would rather keep it and enjoy all the hard work you have put into it, rather then give someone else that pleasure. Perhaps next year you will use her to see more of this dear-old country. If you are in this direction, let me know, all the best for now, Cornish4.

Thanks a lot,
knowing myself as I do the chances are that I will probably end up keeping the R4 because I've kept the wife now for 33 years and swore I would get rid of her years ago ( joking of course)

Billy a passport is easy to get John and me are planning to go to the 50 year meet in France in my GTL starting in Grimoldby only a few miles from you.
I am also an ageing Scot who liked Lincolnshire, so we could travel in convoy.
Gary

Thank you for the kind offer but my wife unfortunately does not keep very well and I have other family commitments.

Back