Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4GTL does not run on Diesel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gsouthee

Enthusiast
So fill up with fuel, drive off down road and all of a sudden lots of white smoke and stop dead. Mmmmmmm me thinks whats up, scratch head, look under bonnet, all ok there, damn whats wrong?? Then light bulb moment, have a look at receipt and bugger it says 23.5 litres of Diesel, who put that in there ??? Silly old git. So get her on recovery truck, back to my garage, look to drain tank, Oh drain does not move, look in Haynes manual it seems it sealed at factory, bother and damn or similar terms. So cut length off my garden hose, fiddle down into tank, put mouth over filler pipe and blow and hey presto out comes diesel into my cans, bowl, milk bottles etc, nearly all out, put 2 cans of petrol in, top off carb clean out float bowl, fuel pipe of pump and blow any diesel in line back to tank, crank engine to clear pump, clear out float bowl again, fill with petrol, refit pipe and carb top. Start up, she runs a bit smoky as some diesel still in tank now mixed with petrol, so up road top right up with petrol this time and she is all good again. Phew!!!!! only wasted 1.5 hrs and £30 odd on diesel.

Just offered to fill missus car up with petrol but she has declined my offer, not sure why

I don't suppose it would be possible to get away with it in a 'modern' car, would it!

Well done. At least you'll never have to fill up anyone else's car again!

That’s just the sort of thing I’d do!

Impressed with your clean-up measures.

Joao ended up with a tankful of 98 after pushing the wrong button on our recent trip ...luckily with a more favourable result..,.

Best wishes, Simon.

Yes, cleaning it up is the only way but, you could modify the engine to run on diesel.
I serviced for 28 years in the Royal Dutch army and we had Landrovers 4x4's where the original petrol engine's where modified to run on diesel.
Would be a nice project to change the mighty Cleon-Fonte from petrol to diesel.

Yes, cleaning it up is the only way but, you could modify the engine to run on diesel.
I serviced for 28 years in the Royal Dutch army and we had Landrovers 4x4's where the original petrol engine's where modified to run on diesel.
Would be a nice project to change the mighty Cleon-Fonte from petrol to diesel.
that would be an interesting project although with the way diesels are being demonised perhaps not the way to go

Wow, I didn't know that was possible, given the greater compression required. What modifications were needed? Sounds fascinating!

Joao ended up with a tankful of 98 after pushing the wrong button on our recent trip ...luckily with a more favourable result..,.

Just out of curiosity why would filling with 98 octane be a bad thing. As for diesel conversion really is it worth it for such a dirty fuel.

Regarding high octane fuel: I've run my R4 845cc on both 99 and 100, and it's just sooo smooth :) Gets 5 km/h more on top, and runs 1-2 kms more pr liter.

Yep I run on 98/99 BP ultimate and all is good, I also run my TR6 engined 1949 AC on it. Few extra pence per litre but seems to run much more evenly and a bit more oomph.

Wow, I didn't know that was possible, given the greater compression required. What modifications were needed? Sounds fascinating!
Well in the mid 70's the army did a lot of modifications on the Land Rover series 3 lightweigt 88 and 109. The original petrol engine was modified to run on diesel for the single fuel concept. The sparkplugs were changed for the diesel injectors (with the fuel return lines) and a diesel high pressure pump was added. Strangly the cylinder head wasn't modified or changed. Beside the engine mod, more and more modifications where done but in time it didn't work out that well.
Maybe the 688 d7/12 suits for conversion but the R6's 688 B/7 10 engine might be more suitable as it has a bigger combustion chamber.
Would be a nice experiment.

Why would anyone want to convert a R4 engine to run on stinking diesel. Definite no no from me, or even think about experimenting. But each to his own I suppose JdeW. I run my GTL on nothing less than 98 octane as the Cleon engine is really not happy with the lower octane fuel. I even add some octane booster on long motorway prolonged high speed driving. Oh, and it's an additive with an anti-ethenol constituent too.

I gather another advantage of the higher octane petrols like Shell V Power is they tend to be lower in Ethanol. Ethanol is not good for older fuel systems as I'm sure we know.

Back