Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 Automatic Gearbox

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Spotted a '90 Renault 5 Monaco on eBay. I've always fancied a Monaco and looks like it could be a good one - low mileage and all that, but it has an auto box.

I'm not deadly serious about it, and would never be able to sell it again with the auto, but does anyone know what the auto boxes are like to live with on those cars? Some were terrible from that era.

Almost tempting to have a car to use when I fell like driving like a grandad.

Bit of further reading suggests the 1397 is what they fitted to the automatic version of the Monaco rather than a misprint. That's out then - I'd want to be zipping along at a fair old rate when I'm driving like a grandpa so it has to be the 1721cc.

Phew. Too many cars anyway.

The problem they had with the Auto boxes back then if i can remember was the oil cooler which sat on top of the box. The seals used to go on the bolts which leaked the rusty coolant into the box..Great design...
Unlike the modern gearboxes on Renault today were the electronic solenoids balls up which usualy rights off the car.
You are correct with the 1397 in the auto and the 1721 in the manual and gtx models which suffered with percolation of the fuel in the carb plus distortion..I had a gtx in last month for brakes and it was a pig to start and stunk of fuel when it ran...

Back