Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

r5 into r4

michaelgirraffe

Enthusiast
hey....after some advice on engine transplant.......my engine on my 1108c.c. lhd f4 is being decidedly temperamental and have come across a very low mileage engine from a mk1 r5 tl....it is 1108 on a y reg....does anyone know if engine will fit the car and gearbox without mods.....also mk1 5 box is also available if reqd......
thanks for any info....mike

R5

Mike,
I've watched this thread without response for a few hours. So I'll venture an opinion that hopefully will be the catalyst for others to respond.
Firstly, notice that I am from OZ. Not necessarily a problem, but obviously a long way from the centre of the R4 universe!
Short answer = YES. It is a straight swap.
Gearbox. I think it is a lower ratio. I had an early R5 (956 TL) and it would be revving at 4000rpm @ 60mph. I would suggest that you keep the GTL (asumption) box if it is quite serviceable.
If the R5 motor has a weber carb then you will pick uo a bit more oomph!

David

Not quite a straight swap! The R5 engine is exactly the same as it's a 688 type and is usually removed from the engine bay complete with gearbox. You have to remove the R5 gearbox and fit your R4 one but do keep the R5 one as the ratios are identical and this box can be easily converted to fit your R4 so it's handy to have as a spare.
If you have access to all the spares on the TL do use the 32IF carb, manifold etc as it will give you more power. There is a great deal mentioned about this conversion on this forum so do a search. Some people call it the Hennessey Hot Up Kit so search that to begin with.

Good luck.

cheers guys....no worries .....have converted mine already to a 32 if carb so maybe there will be one for sale if anyone is interested complete with manifold........

83 y reg 5 is 5 speed box nice high 5th ratio worth fittting if your prepared to cut and fabricate cross member

see malcolms article for details

Back