Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Radiator Grills & bonnet types

hal7600

Enthusiast
Any idea if the older style square (ish) metal grill would fit in place of the newer retangular (usually plastic) version?

I have a feeling that they don't. The bonnet is different (slightly) between early and later models. I'm sure someone else has the definitive answer though...

There are some photos of a newer bonnet being fitted with the earlier grill in swannieg's album It involves metal work - the earlier grill is clipped onto a similar looking grill pressed into the bonnet.

It is much easier to fit the later full width aluminium grille (photos in the same album).

seems to me that Swannie has used the early grill that were no grill -just cutouts in the front.The one I thought of is the aluminium one...

Here is a picture of the Mk I bonnet. There are the main differences:
- the cooling inlet is formed otherwise and contains a pressed grill, which can be (or not) covered by an aluminium decorative grill
- the front part is otherwise pressed in the side areas (between the head lamp hole and the licence number profiling
- the inner reinforcement seems to be another
- the indicator holes are embossed

How looks the round indicator hole on the later (Mk2) bonnet? Is it embossed too, or punched flat as on the latest rectangular indicators?

Regards Pavel

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 107
Here you are, the bonnet is a new part, but not original Renault, if it does matter. It is flat, unlike the 3-speed bonnet.

• 67-77 bonnet.jpg
    67-77 bonnet.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 101
as seen on the two previous pictures the newer bonnet has a larger hole but of course if you can weld in new bits it would be poss to mount the first type grill-I thought you meant if the mk1 grill could just be mounted in newer type bonnet... good luck anyways! -R.

i don't think so, the pressing is different. The grille sits lower than the headlamp holes on the early bonnet, and the contour around the headlamps and number plate is also different.
As the headlamp hole centres are (should be) at the same distance, it could be possible to fit the early grille but it would not really look like it should.

Back