Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear axle

Hi guys, I can't be sure but I don't think that these pressed steel swinging arms will fit a later car. My 83 GTL has cast steel ones and there could well a difference in design of fit. Just a thought.

Hi jonigel
I would be interested alright provided it fits. Mine is a cast job, i wonder if that makes a difference

As i know one guy here in Croatia have changed steel one with cast one on '68 R4 (three speed gearbox)

Can not remember if he had done some or any changes but he managed to fit it.

My project had a cast iron sinpar back axle installed in 1992 when it was build.
I have replaced it with a pressed steel one from 1970.
They are interchangeable. The cast iron axles are more durable but when they start to rust they are hard to repair.

Well there you are, you live and learn. Thank you petak and harbourseal.

Hello Minty
It should fit ok i have changed them before but to cast iron ones as they dont rust, I took this one of an 86 gt last week and the chassis mounting bolts are the same as the cast iron one,
this one is in good condition the torsion bars are rust free and there is still some paint left on the arms

As i know one guy here in Croatia have changed steel one with cast one on '68 R4 (three speed gearbox)

Can not remember if he had done some or any changes but he managed to fit it.

That's interesting and I do not doubt what you are saying.
With the Renault 5, when the change was made to the cast arms they changed the camber angle to a slightly negative camber. Because it has such a short wheelbase, they did that to reduce the car's desire to swap ends in emergency braking situations.

Hi jonigel
I'll tell you where we stand at the moment. The reason i'm looking for a rear axle is that my swing arm broke off just where it joins the outer bracket. I've done a little bit of work on a lathe and got a bar to fit into the swing arm at one end 22mm and into the bracket 23mm in diameter. I just have to weld it in place and see what happens. I don't know if this has been tried before or not. If this fails i'll take the axle off you. I will know either way by monday at the latest.
Thanks
Joe (minty)

Hello Joe
Thanks for the info, I have never heard of a break like that before i have seen torsion bars snap or the outer bracket rust out, Any way good luck with the repair
The axle is still advertised on leboncoin but is still available, let us know how you get on, Good luck
Nigel

Was that a solid piece turned down to suit the new bush and then knocked into end of broken arm

That's it Paul. 32mm fits snug into the broken arm and 34mm into the bracket

That's it Paul. 32mm fits snug into the broken arm and 34mm into the bracket
Hello
I'm a Renault 4 owner with a similar swingarm failure to the one you mentioned, here. Could I ask if the fix with the welded - in bar was successful?

Back